Help

brightstar34

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Courtney
I went to the pet store and I found this axolotl I couldn't leave him/her.. Im very new to having an axolotl and I dont know what to do. I didnt have time to cycle since it was on the spur of the moment. The temp is 18• c. I dont know if I should put a filter in there or a hide out since hes/shes so bad off, missing 2 gills, a leg, the tail is practically gone and it looks like the skin is flaking off. They had the axolotl in with another fish and that might have been the issue. Im about to try and feed some blood worms. What should I do?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 209
Here's another picture. He did eat a few bloodworms but it look like he had trouble opening his mouth too. He moves around but very slow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 190
I decided to name him Ace. Well Ace is starting to be more active and move around and his body isn't as red anymore but now there is fungus growing on his tail.I noticed that yesterday and gave him a salt bath, I believe I caught it in time because now the fungus is almost gone. I did find a stone this morning so I think he ate some gravel, since there was gravel in his tank where I got him from. So i'm kinda in a dilemma if I should fridge him or not. Ace is starting to get his appetite back but he is still so skinny and his wounds are still bad.

Keep him cool, ( not too cold cause he could loose appetite) he look like he been sucked up by syphon . If he is eating then he have good fighting chance of surving ( might look crooked after heal but still there's chance of life) keep change water in his container so you could control the situation with fungus . I had rescued some axolotl that survive syphon accident before ( some look even worse) all young axolotl are much stronger than most people think. Everything can be regenerate just be patient and less stress as possible. Feed him as need don't leave the foods around . Be delicate with salt bath. Some people might try tea bath for tightening skin pores but since his skin has been ripped out probably later on when he started to patched up some more. Only time can heal him at this point. Best fresh water quality is the key.

I think what's best for him right niw is just time to recover, he was kept in terrible conditions and I an very happy to hear that you were able to remove him from that environment.

It is a very good sigh that he is eating a little and that the redness has gone down. Keep him in clean water so that he doesn't aquire any more fungal infections. Axolotls are amazing healers and hopefully your little one will be okay. I have read that axolotls heal faster in cooler water, however I have no knowledge on fridging Axolotls.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge on axolotl injuries and recuperation will be able to help.

I don't know what happened. I was at the store on Tuesday and he was perfectly fine then then I went there Saturday he looked like that. The sad thing was that I had told the women I was thinking about getting him, if he was still there by the time I had extra money and my tank was set up. He was such a beautiful axolotl, he had just started showing pink in his gills. It was heartbreaking when I went there and saw him in that condition, I barely recognized him. When I went up to the lady I usually talk to I asked her what had happened, she only works part time and she hadn't been there in the past few days. When she went with me to look at Ace she said it might have been the gar they had in there with him.

Thanks everyone, I think i'll continue to do what i've been doing, water changes every day and salt baths. Once he gets a little better i'll maybe try a tea bath. The end part of his tail is hanging on by a thin string so i'm sure he will lose that.
Ace is actually starting to use his other two legs more, which is good. Can axolotls repair broken or sprained legs?

You can see in the picture he's actually starting to use his other two legs on his. He even looks up at me every now and then.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1874.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1874.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 163
  • thumbnail_IMG_1872.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1872.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 153
awe that just heart breaking, Maybe other axolotl tried to eat him and he escaped . As long as he has you , I believe he will be ok. I'm such a sucker for their cute little face and this is why my life has been over run by them , those eyes are dangerous . They can make me do just about anything. :confused:

Poor little fella. They do heal very well with a good environment though.
You will need to cycle your tank, and I would suggest moving your axolotl to a seperate container with 100% dechlorinated water changes daily. He is not well enough to remain in the tank whilst it cycles. Make sure the fresh water is the same temperature as the old water before doing the water change.
Have you cycled tanks previously? Do you have any other tanks that you can take mature media from to seed the new filter for your axolotl tank?

Im sad to say that Ace passed away. I went to check on him this morning to do his water change and he was on his side.

Sorry to hear he passed away, but be happy that his last few days were in comfort and with a fully belly. Shame on that store for putting it in with a gar!!

I called the other pet store that they associate with to make sure they didn't have any axolotls. So that's good. Even though I know at least his last few days were better than being in that type of environment, I feel bad. I had planned on buying him when I had the extra money, a tank cycled and if he was still there when I had everything ready. I had seen him perfectly fine last Tuesday and with no tank mates. Then by Saturday he had the longnose gar in there with him and him being in that kind of condition. The people who worked there knew I was interested in him and apologized to me when they saw what happened to him They didn't think he would have gotten messed with since he stayed at the bottom of the tank. I think the main issue is that people do not know much about axolotls and if people knew more about them and even the personalities of other fish it would save lives.
The only reason I was able to get him Saturday was because I had just sold some stuff at the pawn store that day. So I believe I was meant to help him at least and show him what it's liked to be cared for and loved.
I'm now glad I got my two axolotls out of there before it happened to them.

I'm sorry this happened to your little guy. You tried and gave him/her the best chance. Try not to feel bad - like someone else said he died with a full belly. You gave him a good few days. :) Im sorry.

I'm truly sorry to hear that. Holly12 was right "shame on that store to put him with gar!"

So sorry to hear the sad news about Ace. The owners of that pet store should be ashamed of themselves for treating any animal that badly. I hope that it is of some comfort that you made Ace's last few days as comfortable as possible. You did very well considering the poor condition Ace was in, it would have been lovely to have a positive outcome, but sometimes these situations have gone to far. We can only do our best.

This is absolutely heartbreaking. Shame on that pet store, and the highest praises on you for doing your best to heal him.

Is there any way to report the pet store for animal abuse?

I will have to look into the laws because i'm not sure. I don't believe that they put the gar in there thinking it would kill Ace. I have been going into the store 3-4 times a week and they knew I had planned on buying him. I had already bought the other two they had but what gets me if they wern't sure, they should have looked up their personalities and done some research.I dont know anything about gars but when i looked it up it says their violent. If they had, Ace would have been saved. All it takes is a few mins to google..he wouldnt have had to suffer and die. I should have just bought him and did 100% water changes every day till I had a different tank cycled. The other two i got from them
were alot smaller so they couldnt have been togther. What gets me is that a lot of people dont care for exotics like they do dogs/cats ect.. but fish,snakes ect ect deserve a good life and care too, Ace did.... They have feelings just like everyone else...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back