Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Alternatives to Ammonia Test $trip$ !?

CaptainK1088

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with any of these new fangled computer/electronic PH balance and Ammonia readers?

[ https://www.amazon.com/Hanna-Instruments-HI700-Freshwater-Ammonia/dp/B00JX173MA $49.99 this particular product says its most accurate at 77 degrees fahrenheit. I'm not sure if your aquarium has to be that temperature, or if you can gather a sample and wait for it to get to that temperature within the reader. ]
[ https://www.amazon.com/Hanna-Instru...g_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=HGQX7ZQKBYCM0WRMXEYN $53.99 This one is for Nitrite, same company same idea. ]

[ https://www.seneye.com/store/devices/seneye-home-device.html This one seems rather sophisticated. A little pricier, but if it works, in my opinion it's worth the money. Plus it would probably wind up being cheaper than constantly buying test strips. ]

They're obviously a little more expensive than test strips, but it's a one time purchase as long as the product holds up, rather than several purchases. I feel that test strips are extremely expensive. I see ammonia test strips online for only as low as $17, and at the pet store up to $25. I'm considering just going with one of these instead. If anyone has any information on these products or something similar or better, I appreciate it. :D

Holly12

Reaction score
Nope. Have you tried the liquid tests? Much more accurate than strips. Cheaper than electronic.

CaptainK1088

Reaction score
Nope. Have you tried the liquid tests? Much more accurate than strips. Cheaper than electronic.

No, actually I haven't tried them. That's not a bad way to go. Still, the idea of buying one product one time is intriguing to me, if the product can be accurate and durable.
But, that does definitely sound superior to strips.

Last edited:

Caesar

Reaction score
I would also try the drops! They last a long time and don't cost that much.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1