Newcomer - Wanting an Axolotl

Wysper

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Crystal
Hello!

I am new to the site, done a lot of reading here and there.

I'm looking to get into axolotl's, but have not made the plunge yet. I want to get as much information about them as I can before I put a life at risk! lol

Hope to learn lots of new things and meet some great helpful people. ;)

Good luck , they are awesome creature and beyond adorable .;)

I have been browsing the entire forum and the sales section for a few months now. I've wanted to get one for a few years, just haven't made that step yet.

Though I did find someone who posted Juvies for sale that lives only an hour away from me. So score! No need for shipping, and I can get to talk to someone who has experience with them too.

I currently have:

55g with South American Pearl Cichlids (and a few of their babies), a pleco, and a spotted Raphael talking catfish

35g with a single angelfish (rescued), a few tetras, a single guppy, and a twig catfish, and some snails

And a 20g waiting for my new axis I hope to pick up tomorrow!

Adopting a new pet is always a fun and scary experience. I'm only worried I may do something wrong.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back