Question: Is it seller fault if Axolotl got sick and die after 2 weeks ?

tipnatee

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
NYC Axolotl
A buyer send me messages about the golden that I delivered to him 2 weeks ago starting to acting weird just the other day , float to the side, gills almost gone, over all looks very sick suddenly then he died. I sold him 2 axolotl one white and one golden. The white one is still doing just fine and healthy only the golden just suddenly got sick. Then he starting explain that maybe it was because when I shipped the golden to him there wasn't enough water in the bag. So I explained to him that I don't put too much water in the bag because I use express shipping for next day delivery, and too much water cause axolotl to spending out of control in the bag after box moving and shifting causing them to stress more so I normally add more ice packs to keep them cool and more air , more breathing space and just enough clean water to submersed the whole body of the Axolotl ( I use breather bag) . All my shipment has been very much successful no complain whatsoever before.

Should I replace his golden ? Is it my fault? Can axolotl survive for 2 week after some kind of accident during shipping? I'm at lost here. Please help me getting to the bottom of this!!! :confused::confused::confused:

Please don't get me wrong I do feels very bad about this , and he did told me that they looked very healthy 2 weeks ago when they first arrived. He was so happy so I didn't think anything was wrong ever. Then 14 day after the delivered that's when I've got his email asking for help and what to do ( I didn't get any pictures so I don't know what happen exactly) I gave him all the info I could on how to treat sick axolotl, then the next day after that he send me an email said that it was dead . That's when he said it could be my fault on packing. I have the replacement policy if any lost ,damage, or death happen during shipping cause I have no control over USPS action. And I did replaced a few axolotl in the pass when USPS damaged the packages and lost one of it. But it has always been less than a few days at most as notice after received the damage packages. My axolotl ( same batch ) which I still have has no sigh of sick or any illness whatsoever. The buyer said nothing about his tank water quality when I asked only that the other axolotl is healthy . I'm not sure what to think of it. :confused:

I"m kind of thinking it's the buyer...how much experience does the buyer have? I'd want water parameters and a pic of the tank (large gravel? etc)

Sorry to hear about the trouble. The standard for any local fish store is 7 days with a water sample. I'd say if it arrived healthy and the customer was happy then you are off the hook. Just my personal opinion. In the interest of keeping a customer happy, you could offer a discount on a replacement, but that's only if you want to. I've had a few fish die within 2-3 weeks of getting them, and for no explainable reason, but I've never held the seller responsible for that. If I receive a healthy fish, and it stays healthy for a week, then it's on me. I understand that sometimes there is an underlying condition that no one could have known about. It happens. Without pictures, I would be suspicious that something else in the tank did him in whether it be another fish, an uncovered intake tube, or even the other Axie. In short, I'd say you are only responsible for any of the cost if you want to be. Good luck.

Too me personally, I feel like if the axolotl was sick from the delivery he would have shown signs right when the person received him or soon after. Since it has been two weeks after the purchase I feel like it's the buyers fault. The buyer should have been able to provide pictures, temperature, if tank was cycled, the size of the tank and at least give you the water parameters.

I think that most people do is live a rival granted. If you sell eggs do you guarantee they all hatch and are healthy. Could have bad water and next month the other one dies?

Thank you so much for all yours replied , it took me by surprise cause I stay communicate with all my buyers till I know for sure that everything is fully taken care off and axolotl are safe . Sadly I'm not a pet store owner I just love axolotl who's happen to end up with lots of beautiful babies and running out of space . So it took me 2 years to finally get eBay to approve me selling axolotl on their site , cause eBay have been take down every axolotl listing for some unknown reason for many years ( something to do with law against selling endanger species) I have to 100% guarantee live arrival or full refund with top record of customer service and high positive feedback. One bad feedback and I get suspension. So I need to be very sure how to handle this matter correctly . :dizzy:

I can only think that it's bad water or maybe accident of something got in the water but he swear that the other axolotl is very healthy .. So I guess if the other one starting to look ill I will hear from him again. My heart want to send him replacement axolotl, but my brain just don't want more axolotl die if it turns out that he has a killer tank. :confused:

finally I decided to write him a message. (Please let me know what you all think about this?)
I told him that if one month from now on the other axolotl still doing fine and healthy ( maybe send me a picture) I will send him a new golden axolotl as a gift. :eek:

Oho! He sound's pissed , I think he mistook it as a challenge. :dizzy:

I dont know why? If he did nothing wrong and the other axolotl is doing fine, he shouldnt be having an issue waiting one momth. If your axolotl was sick when he received it then the other one could develop the same issue. You
would constently be sending more axolotls to their death. You should just tell him its for the safety of other axolots so they wont be exposed "if there is an issue" You should probably start asking for pictures and water test results. So that way it will be harder for people to lie.

Well I think I gets where he's coming from. I don't doubt his feeling about what might had happen. He probably couldn't find anything wrong on his end at the best of his knowledge. He said the golden axolotl acted weaker from the start, but he thought it was because of the shipping stress so he didn't say anything about it since their physical appearance looks pretty healthy. I always remind all of my buyer that shipping can cause lots of stress to axolotl, and explained on how to treat axolotl as soon as they arrived before they arrive. And i wouldn't ship sick axolotl cause no sick axolotl would be able to make it through the shipping. Maybe 2 weeks is too long to call in for a replacement, who knows... Since he still hold the feedback cards and I'm stuck with the policy as same as regular merchandise. :( If he think I'm challenging him in to some axolotl care off ... So it's on! But He still gonna win. What's a point? I have no idea . :eek:

Wow. Sounds like you're in a tough spot. Maybe if you send him a replacement, explain that if another dies you will not send him any more without pictures and a water sample from the tank? I'm not sure what to tell you from here.

There has to be some time limit on live animals through ebay. I know I have seen your listings there many times (and always tempted to buy, but shipping frightens me!)

I would think if he can't send you pictures of the tank, or pictures of when the axolotl started to be sick, then there is nothing you should be held responsible for.

Well I want to send him replacement but since there's no picture, and I have no idea of what kinda of condition he has for them . I'm scare that I will be sending my baby to the death trap . :confused: Sorry it just my first time dealing with this kinda of stand off situation , Even with all the facts I can not convince him that the fault was not mine , nor do I wish to call him out cause I don't think he would believe it. :sick:

There has to be some time limit on live animals through ebay. I know I have seen your listings there many times (and always tempted to buy, but shipping frightens me!)

I would think if he can't send you pictures of the tank, or pictures of when the axolotl started to be sick, then there is nothing you should be held responsible for.

I shipped lots of axolotl each week so I always double packed them secure with international perishable labels or live fish label, the only time that it frighten me is when the location is so far out I have no clue of where their local office is actually exist. I have to match guarantee healthy live arrival without fail , so I believe as a seller I have the right to feel more nervous than the buyer. :sick: no? I think my hair is falling oh god!! :confused:

Well, you may have to look at your guarantee wording also. Live arrival means it arrived ALIVE, which it did.

If I were you, I would ask them, specifically, HOW can you make the buyer happy. If it is an answer you can live with, then provide it. Not that I think they deserve it after a 2 week wait though.

I understand where your coming from. If i breed I would be so worried about the little ones. Well if he did mention it was acting weird when he got it then probably send him a replacement and if and if anything happens after that youll need
pictures and water results.

Thank you that exactly what I feels. I sold lots of axie to so many first time axie owners that put in so much effort to created the world for them, I don't mind spending the whole week or two helping them shopping for stuff that they need and explain all details of what to do ( a few of them still sending me update pictures of my axie in their new home) . Of cause I can't expected all buyer to be all ideal type, still ..Stupid as this may sound, it's kinda hurt to feel like I'm being hackling this way.

If you offered live delivery and it turned up alive and was accepted by the customer you have done your part. If it died within a couple of days I would replace it as a good will gesture, if I was sure the owner was looking after it ok as shipping accidents can happen. How you react to this situation is up to you but personally I wouldn't replace it until i was a 100% certain that it hadn't been killed by substandard care. If it was not only wouldn't I replace it I wouldn't sell that customer another animal.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back