Question: Freeze dried blackworms

Felixtacat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Felix
Unfortunately, I have found myself to have a very picky axolotl. She hates earthworms, barely eats frozen blood worms and has no interest in pellets. So, even though freeze dried food is not that healthy i bought her some of these freeze dried blackworm cubes. Are these ok as a staple diet or should i keep looking for something else? Thanks :p

Attachments

• worms.jpg
    worms.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 146
A lot of people have problems introducing their axolotls to new foods. Sometimes you have to be quite hard with your little one. Earthworms/night crawlers are the best staple diet. If you offer these every day (cut into suitable sized pieces) it will not do any harm (as long as your axolotl is healthy to start with) to go a few days without food. The aim being that it will then eat the worms when it is hungry enough.
I have been very licky with my gand and food has not been a problem, but you will find serveral threads on this forum of people with the same problem as you. Perserverance may be your best option to ensure that your axolotl gets used to the best diet.
Best of luck and please keep us posted on your progress.

Yeah, you're right. I'll keep trying those darned earthworms. I doubt my axie is going to be too happy about it tho :D But hopefully she'll get a taste for them, of course because they're healthier but also cuz those blackworm cubes are so messy :p Thanks for the reply :)

Update: She's eaten nothing but earthworms the past 3 days in a row :D I fed her very lightly the first day and the second she ate the worms no problem. Guess a little bit of an empty stomach was all she needed! Now she's a piggy with them :p Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back