Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding?

Alotlove808

Reaction score
So I have two juvenile axolotls and at first I started off with blood worms one cube each then I seen some pointers on how to feed them earthworm (red wiggkers) so now I started feeding the 2 worms each twice a day and they still seem hungry! Well just my leucistic shows it slot by biting the air but my melanoid is a chubby one lol so am I not feeding them enough?

brightstar34

Reaction score
I feed my two enough to where there so full they stop eating. There still growing so it will be fine to feed them until they stop.

Holly12

Reaction score
So I have two juvenile axolotls and at first I started off with blood worms one cube each then I seen some pointers on how to feed them earthworm (red wiggkers) so now I started feeding the 2 worms each twice a day and they still seem hungry! Well just my leucistic shows it slot by biting the air but my melanoid is a chubby one lol so am I not feeding them enough?

I feed my juvie 2 Black Soldier Fly Larva when I wake up, then drop in a cube of either blood worms or mysis shrimp, (sometimes I do half and half,) along with 3-4 pellets and some carnivore granules. He goes to his bowl and eats the frozen food, pellets and granules through out the day. This evening, his bowl was empty and he was sitting in it, so I gave him 2 more BSFL which he gulped down.

I've started a red wiggler colony - I just have to wait until they breed.

He was 3" when I got him 3-4 weeks ago and really scrawny. With this feeding schedule, he's almost 4" and his belly is as wide as his head, which is how you want it. He's also grown back all the toes that his tank mates at the store nipped off, and can use his left back leg! (He couldn't when we got him.)

A healthy variety is key and juvies eat more often than adults. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1