Illness/Sickness: Weird attachment underneath gills

LuciAndRa

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all! I received my two axolotls - Luci (leucistic) and Ra (golden albino) - about three weeks ago and I am absolutely in love with them!

However, yesterday I noticed this weird bloodworm-type looking thing coming out from underneath Luci's gills/side of the neck. I have absolutely no idea what this could be and have tried to get the best picture possible. It's not rigid, it's moves just like her gills.

I would really appreciate if someone could advise me on what this could be and whether I should be taking action?

Attachments

• IMG_3069.JPG
    IMG_3069.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_3071.JPG
    IMG_3071.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 142
Is it at all possible an actual bloodworm she swallowed wrong? Can you see close enough to compare to the food?

Taking a guess.

Is it at all possible an actual bloodworm she swallowed wrong? Can you see close enough to compare to the food?

Taking a guess.

I think so too! Behind their feathery gills there's a space gill that connect to their mouth and throat (similar to the a shark gills) whatever they swallow if it small enough it can escape out behind axolotl neck .

I think so too! Behind their feathery gills there's a space gill that connect to their mouth and throat (similar to the a shark gills) whatever they swallow if it small enough it can escape out behind axolotl neck .
Oh really?! I had no idea that could actually happen! I have compared it to the blood worm which I gave her yesterday and it does look similar.

I did find this article: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...xolotl/99487-strange-growth-axolotl-gill.html
Could it be a blood vessel?

I just don't want to hurt her!

That has to be the same color with your axolotl gills , yours doesn't look any thing alike so your axolotl should be fine as far as I've seen on your picture. If you wanna be sure the use a small bulb siphon (the turkey baster ) to suck it out from your axolotl gill.

I've just spent the past 30 minutes trying to suck it out with the turkey bastor and it's come out! It was really lodged in there! Thank you for helping me, you've put my mind and Luci's to rest :)

You mean my wild guess was actually correct? lol

I'm glad she (and you!) are doing better now and it's removed. :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back