Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Genetic Combinations

adb

Reaction score
Hello people!

I am working on a punnett square of the most common axolotl genetic traits for fun. I have the leucism gene, and the three that affect melanophores, iridophores and xanthophores. I have a number of combinations of recessive traits that aren't common and I don't know the names for them or even if there are names for them.

Does anyone know the common names for any of these combinations? Pictures of axolotls with these traits would also be much appreciated.:D

d - "dark" (leucism)
m - iridophores
a - melanophores
ax - xnathophores

d/d m/m A/A AX/AX (leucistic melanoid?)

D/D M/M a/a ax/ax

D/D m/m A/A ax/ax (axanthic melanoid?)

d/d M/M A/A ax/ax (axanthic leucistic?)

d/d m/m A/A AX/AX (leucistic melanoid?)

d/d m/m a/a AX/AX (leucistic melanoid albino?)

d/d M/M a/a ax/ax

d/d m/m a/a ax/ax

Unfortunately the image is too large to post so I am posting the jpeggy compressed version.

Attachments

• punnet square 1 tiny.jpg
    punnet square 1 tiny.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 1,526

adb

Reaction score
I think it would be particularly interesting to see the D/D M/M a/a ax/ax one because that combination would result in only iridophores being expressed, like an axolotl covered in sequins.

auntiejude

Reaction score
The axanthic gene also suppresses iridophores, so an axanthic albino looks virtually the same as a melanoid albino. The only difference is a few xanthaphores across the head of the axie when young.
There are pictures on axolotl.org.

adb

Reaction score
Ahh, you're right, I misread that part. I got most of my information from there and when it said the axanthic albino lacks melaophores, xanthophores and iridophores, I assumed that meant it was homozygous for melanism, but it is just the result of iridophores being suppressed. Thank you

That means the combination I don't know is D/D m/m a/a ax/ax. it sounds like the phenotype would look almost identical, but I am curious to know if we have a name for it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1