Illness/Sickness: Female Axolotl losing gills

DarlingC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am really stumped and hoping someone can help.

My adult female has lost the majority of gill feathers on the middle 'stem'. She is eating well (earth worms and blood worms for occasional treats) swimming around and generally looks fine.

The water parameters are good:

Ammonia 0
Nitrate 20
Nitrite 0
pH 7.2

Temperature 19 c

There have been no changes made in the tank and my other two adult males are fine and no signs of losing gills. I have had all three for about a year after adopting them from a friend.

I have read previous threads about this on here but haven't been able to find an answer.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this, should I be worried and what is the best course of action?

I have attached a photo of Bette to see the loss.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 222
I had that same experienced with one of my albino breeder male ( even worse than yours cause there were no gills whatsoever) with no everdence of bad water or anything toxic and all 0 with 7ph So my last conclusion was that there must have been some kind of un seen fungus spores , so I tired tea bath , nothing happen, I tried regular salt bath , nothing happen . Then I tried a drop of melafix right on his gill, suddenly I begin to see one little single gill fan out a little but it was so small like a thin 1 millimeter round pink dot of gill. So if melafix can relax one gill out , meaning there's hope yet. The next day I put him in another tub with aquarium salt and let him sit it in all day in cold room ( not fridge) then I starting to see change his gills and starting to show some gill buds growing like cherry blossom. So I put him back in the tank and added aquarium salt in to tank every day with melafix. He started to look better after a few day, the week after I've got some more Indian almond leaf extract and added more beneficial bacteria . He is back!! His gills now still short but looks very healthy. I wish I did took a before and after shots . So try melafix to see if your axie gills would responding to it first. If we're right about this then just do what I did. ;)

Thanks for the advice.

I'll give Melafix a go and see if that helps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back