Hello!!

Haylady2007

Reaction score
Country
Wales
I am band new to owning Axolotls. Mine Axolotl is a rescue that came with two Black Moors, their tank (big Blagdon), sand, furnishings and an AquaOne filter. They came with frozen and freeze dried Bloodworm. I am anxious to do the best for my little man/woman??? And companions. I would be very grateful for any advice please. I've kept tropical fishes before and pond fish, but never an axolotl or Black Moors. How often should axolotl feed?? He/she is about 5 inches long, mottled brown in colour, tail tip missing, how old could my Axolotl be? I live in Powys, Wales. I would really appreciate your advice. Thank you!!

Welcome to the forum! I don't have axolotls so I can't help with other things, but if black moors means those big-eyed, rather large fish, you should take them away to avoid further problems! It can be they've already bitten the tail. In my understanding, axolotls prefer non-fish environment. For other guestions, take a look in the axolotl threads. Using search you can maybe find answer to feeding guestion right away. Or set your own thread.

First welcome , and second I think your axolotl should be around btw 6-8 month old, and best stable food ( best nutrient) for axolotl diet are live earth worms or black worms, if not for you then there're other options like frozen, dried, or axolotl pellet. Snacks like krill or frozen shrimp also welcome. The little guy can sure eat a lot so you have to just keep on feeding till he/she stop eating . Some feed a few times a day , some just keep the food in tank with axolotl , just careful with the amount of food sit in tank cause it might spike up your ammonia level.

Thanks for your helpful advice and knowledge. I am on the lookout for a separate tank for the Black Moors, they are funny, full of character, and would eat till they go pop given the chance but too boisterous definitely long term in the same tank even as big as it is.. I am pleased to report that the axolotl has finally eaten today too. He chose an earthworm, a big one. Pounced and gone in seconds. I was so happy! To me that shows he/she is settling in. I am waiting to receive a tank thermometer, and water testing kits from amazon with neutralising chemicals for ammonia and chlorine etc in case the balance is not quite right. I am also renewing tank water by a third each week with water that has stood for 7 days previously, covered of course. Thank you for your helpful replies again. I am trying to get to grips with the site and a new tablet at the same time, so please excuse me if this note pops up somewhere it shouldn't with spelling errors!
QUOTE=tipnatee;470497]First welcome , and second I think your axolotl should be around btw 6-8 month old, and best stable food ( best nutrient) for axolotl diet are live earth worms or black worms, if not for you then there're other options like frozen, dried, or axolotl pellet. Snacks like krill or frozen shrimp also welcome. The little guy can sure eat a lot so you have to just keep on feeding till he/she stop eating . Some feed a few times a day , some just keep the food in tank with axolotl , just careful with the amount of food sit in tank cause it might spike up your ammonia level.[/QUOTE]

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back