Question: Impacted??

shells

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, I rarely have to post here (luckily) as I am usually quite across the care of my axie Abraham, (usually via these informative threads and a VERY good exotic vet). However, am seeking some experienced guidance.
I have an 11 y/o who is encountering pooping issues. He is fed either by hand or in a glass jar and lives on sand (there is no sand in the feeding jar). This is only a new event probably in the last 2-3 weeks.
I was prompted to take Abraham to the vet 2 weeks ago following feeding him, when he immediately went tail up!! :eek:. I took him out and levelled him in a container and took him to the Vet the following day. I figured one bit of food should not send him like that...
The Vet has prescribed a round of antibiotics, as apparently older axis are prone to kidney infection??? Any one heard of this? Which apparently if the kidney is inflamed/infected it can impact on the movements of the bowel.
My question is (I finally got to it!). Should I finish the course of antibiotics? due to cease the end of this week, prior to fridging? I don't want to put my buddy anymore undue stress.
Abraham is otherwise, well Abraham, he's swimming, eating and generally being his cheeky self.
I do have the option of dropping the tank temp on the chiller also (currently set to 19 degrees).
Abraham's water parameters are ok (also checked by the vet) and he eats Axolotl pellets and the occasional worm from a friends organic garden...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back