Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Best water treatment? And other tools

xkelpiex

Reaction score
Right now I am using API stress coat as was recommended to me by the pet store (which is weird, I used that stuff for my betta). But, as the pet store also recommended using GRAVEL with my axxie, I am quite hesitant to believe this is the right choice. Is there a better water treatment for me to use?
Also, aside from a filter and hiders, what other tools/fixtures/aides should I have for a tank setup? Should I install a thermometer? (from what I"m reading around here; I'm guessing yes). Also, I've been reading a whole lot on PH balance. What would I need to tell that and what is the best PH balance for a healthy axolotl habitat?
I know this a long question that requires a long answer, but I only want the best for my axolotl and I didn't know there was so much that goes into it when the guy at the pet store told me it was as easy goldfish care :mad: Good thing I like to research. (would have researched before hand, but it was an impulse buy because his tank conditions were horrid.)
Thanks in advance

Lostfrog

Reaction score
I have newts not axolotl but I can answer your water conditioner question. I have used API Stress Coat and Seachem Neutral Regulator, although some don't like the Neutral Regulator because of the high phosphates, but I have never had an algae problem in my tanks since I have shrimp and snails and heavy planted tanks that take care of that. Some really swear by Seachem Prime, I have not used it. Since the Stress Coat doesn't remove ammonia, you will want to keep an eye on the water conditions if your tank hasn't cycled. Have fun with your new little one.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!