Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Axolotl not growing

Kolytr1

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm new here and I have a question. I've had my GFP axolotl for almost a year now, but he/she still doesn't have any developed rear legs. I'm worried that something may be wrong and that it's not developing correctly. Or perhaps it was sold to me falsely as an axolotl when it is infact something else? Either way, I'm worried. The water quality is perfect when compared to what I have found on this site, so please don't ask about that. Any help with why my axolotl isn't developing would be great. And suggestions on how much to feed to promote development. Any info at all. Thank you.

I have attached a picture of the axolotl's "legs"

It also seems ridiculously small for its age??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 185

brightstar34

Reaction score
Like holly said he might be a special needs axolotl. As long as hes eating and not acting strange i wouldnt be too worried. My gfp is a lot slower at growing his legs compaired to my other one. Mochi still hasnt fully developed his toes on one of his legs. while momo had developed his legs/ toes awhile ago.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that you do have an axolotl :) For whatever reason though, it hasn't developed it's rear legs. The front ones also look pretty stunted too. This may have been due to loosing them when much younger, and not being able to regrow them. However I suspect this is most likely some genetic flaw. How big over all is this little axolotl?
Diet wise, I feed mine predominantly earthworm and occasional fresh water shrimp. You can also maybe try axolotl pellets. Here is a list of some other food items Caudata Culture Articles - Nutritional Values

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1