Am I overfeeding?

Mrsunshine

Reaction score
Country
United States
I feed my axolotl one cube of blood worms everyday and I feed my tiger salamander 2-3 super meal worms everyday. Theyread starting to get really fat and I'm unsure if overfeeding them have side effects a little helpfull info would be greatly appreciated.

What size is your axolotl? If it's still a baby feeding everyday is good but if already larger, you could perhaps feed every other day and change food into more nutritious earth worms. I guess the same goes with tiger sal as meal worms are guite fatty.

What size is your axolotl? If it's still a baby feeding everyday is good but if already larger, you could perhaps feed every other day and change food into more nutritious earth worms. I guess the same goes with tiger sal as meal worms are guite fatty.

Totally agree , I always tell my buyer that any shelled worms are mostly not good for axolotl diet. It's too much fat and hardly nutrient , bad digesting problem, and axolotl have to eat more to sustain their diet ( like having fast food everyday ) End result very fat but not very healthy axolotl.

They are both about 5 inches long each. I have some pics on my albums in profile. I'm still very new too caudata had a very hard time finding my post. Thank you guys for your advice! I'm going to switch the meal worms over to earthworms for my tiger salamander. For my axolotl would it be more nutritious to feed earth worms instead of blood worms? Or could I do both bloodworms one week earth's the next? I feed my axie jumbo Hikari bloodworms.

Yes, you should be feeding your Axolotls earthworms as well. Bloodworms are ok every now and again as a treat, but they are very low in calcium and other minerals so can't be used as a staple. Earthworms or high quality pellets can be classed as a complete diet and will keep your Axies in perfect health their whole lives.

Ah I understand now thank alot. These little guys are my pride and joy. Thanks everyone for your help definitely going to earth worms now for both! Ahaha thx again ^~^

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back