Greetings in an unfortunate time

LunaticNic

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
My name is Nic. I have been living in Georgia for the past five years however spent the other 15 growing up in Germany. I've had a passion for amphibians and reptiles for as long as I can remember. My sisters allergies to animal hair helped that passion along as it eliminated all "generic"pets from entering the house. When I was 5 my family took a trip to a city 30 minutes from where we lived where I discovered a small artificial pond in the front of a closed restaurant. The resturant was at the edge of town and sitting on the side of a "mountain" (about 450 meters above sealevel). As "unbelievable" as it might be there were allot of newt larvae in the pond (the pond was maybe 2 feet deep and 5 feet wide) I collected some in an empty plastic bottle and took about 4 home and raised them in a small aquarium my dad had used 20 some years earlier for fire belly newts. As they matured I found out they were alpine newts. I returned the more mature animals to the pond the next time we took a trip to the city. Years later I found the adults lived in in a larger (natural) pond a little farther back in the wooded area behind the restaurant. I did this for a few years, until 8. That year I had raised a total of 20 larvae, however I decided I wanted to keep newts as a whole year pet. With the alpine newts being endangered I didn't want to keep any from the local population so I opted for the much less attractive fire belly newt my father was familiar with.

Since then my collection continued to grow, especially once I found an exotic pet store until I ended up with 5 newts/salamanders a giant day gecko, and a bearded dragon. Unfortunately due to my family moving to the us, I was only allowed to keep one pet, and i chose my bearded dragon which had been with me since I was 10. The rest were donated to a zoo. I always wanted to get back into newts ... and unfortunately I picked the worst time to do that. I was hoping to finally get an alpine newt, I was even considering to "compromise" for a marbled newt this time around. And unfortunately I hadn't heard of the ban, and had to find out by following the trail of why newts and salamanders were out of stock everywhere... which makes me feel twice as bad as I was active during the python issue, and signed petitions, even though I don't care for pythons one bit (as pets for myself that is). In the face of all these bans I'm really fearing for my Tegu.

But there you have it, most of my life story.

Welcome to the forum. Salamanders are certainly more difficult to obtain in the U.S. than they were a year ago. They can still be shipped in state and eggs can be shipped interstate. With a little patience and work you can find most of what you are looking for.

Thanks allot for the info and welcome!

I had read about shipping eggs in another thread here, however I was uncertain if that was just speculation or if it was indeed possible with the trade ban in place.

As for patience, I've waited over 5 years to get back into salamanders and newts, so if it has to be another year it won't kill me :D

Salamander eggs can not carry Bsal. Egg shipping is not restricted by the USFW Bsal regulations.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back