Bacterial Bloom lasting over a month...?

Lester137

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

I've been experiencing a bacterial bloom in my 20 gallon axy tank (2 axolotls, 1.5-2 years old each) for almost 2 months. I'm a bit new at this but when it started, I had just cleaned out my filter. I was getting slime all over the place and ended up cleaning the filter way too much. A day or two later when it started getting cloudy, I came here and realized I started a bacterial bloom.

I've read almost all the threads on this forum concerning bacterial blooms, most saying just be patient and do regular water changes. I've also been to my local pet shop and asked the guy what I'm doing wrong. He sold me a new sponge filter (I only had a crappy whisper 20 filter in there before) and told me it would take a few weeks but that I should start to see progress within a month. It's not getting any better and I've had the new filter plus a second over the tank filter running for weeks. I can't help but wonder if there's more going on than just a bloom, and I worry about my axys health. I've read it doesn't hurt them, but I can't help but wonder. Also, it looks awful. I can barely see them which makes feeding time (I do it by hand) quite the ordeal. Speaking of food, I give them frozen shrimp 3-4 times a week by hand to avoid overfeeding/leftovers. Could it be the shrimp that's doing this to my tank?

Also, perhaps they are just outgrowing this set up and I should start cycling a new tank? I've also been told to get a more bad*ss filter, and that the little plastic hang over the tank filters just don't cut it.

What do ya'll think?

(Oh, and my levels are all normal, I do regular checks of my water.)

Bad**ss filter would be much better than hanging filter yes. It's no way to get your good bacteria complete growing inside your filter when you have to keep cleaning it out. Frozen shrimp isn't help for keeping your water clean either . Your situation seem to have no reason to keep your axie in that cloudy tank cause your filter never get the complete cycle after all the filter cleaning as well just remove the filter and started new tank with the new filter while cycling it without axie. Your axie would be temporary happy with complete new water daily change with just sponge filter till you new tank is ready with complete everything.

I agree with above post completely. You said you were doing water changes - how much water are you changing out? I would do at least 75% daily (maybe more). I use (HOB) Hang on the Back filter on most of my tanks but they are rated much higher then the volume of water. On my 20g I have one rated for a 75g and on my 40g breeder I have 2 HOB rater for 75-100g. I use a turtle dock magnet thingie to break up the flow. I think HOB filters will work just fine but they need to be rated much higher then the gallons you have to deal with the axis waste. What type of frozen shrimp are you using? some shrimp - especially mysis are packed/frozen with their own juice which can foul water but shouldn't cause your extreme situation by itself. Can you try another food source - maybe earthworms for awhile and see if it helps? I'm sorry your having issues. These are just my experiences, hope it helps some.

Dell

Thanks for your replies.

It's still pretty bad...I've been to our local pet shop many times and the guy there (that seems to know his stuff...) told me to only change about a gallon a day, (I was doing about 3 gallons a day, and at first I was doing 50% or more.) use extra dechlorinating drops, and that it may be the type of water I'm getting from the city. He's telling me to hold off on the expensive filter and see if we can clear it up with the sponge filter, extra charcoal in pantyhose, etc... I don't know...it's been over two months now and my ammonia is getting high. Last I checked it was .5, from .25 two weeks before. I switched to worms but they don't like them as much as the shrimp. I was worried about the shrimp though..who knows what's in it.

So, once payday comes I think I'll get the fancy filter and start a new set up for them. Bigger tank and whatnot.

Could I ask for some advice on setting up a new tank? How long do you think it would take?

Thanks again!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back