Axolotl falling over

AxoBoy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my 2 year old leucistic female Axolotl has been falling on her side both in the water and on the floor of the tank. She was fridged for a week, but to no avail. No one else has experienced this with older Axolotls so It would be great if any suggestions were made as to what to do with her. Sometimes she is ok. As I write this she is flat on her tummy (OK) but before that she nearly went upside down

Could you add some photo's, or better still a video please, so we can see?

Here is a pic of her floating up, on her side. Sorry for delay, school calls. I can procure some better images tomorrow but her gills are back and her tail tip is straight if that helps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 853
I have one like this - floats half on his side with his mouth open playing dead.
The best I can figure is it is neurological - some kind of brain damage or degradation causing loss of balance. He's alert, eating well, but swims a bit wonky.
I call him a zombielotl, he scares me at least 3 times a day because I think he's dead.

Ah that's some help. Although are the Axolotls not gifted with the ability to regenerate cells, including brain cells?

When I first got one of my Axies, he kept floating sideways or on his back. I was told to try the fridge thing but didn't help. I came to realize my tank wasn't fully cycled, which can be very toxic to them. I put him in a container(changed water everyday). After I knew tank was fully cycled he went back in and has been great ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back