Question: Are jumpers a risk? (Tank lids/ covers)

Deadpixels

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I read that axolotls can leap out of their tank if frightened or otherwise motivated. How big of a risk is this? How likely are they to do so?

To those of you who have covers or lids, what do you use?

A plastic hood came with my tank, and I figured I'd use that, but it keeps the heat in way too much, so I'm ditching that idea. I'd like to go topless ( :p ) for evaporation cooling purposes, but if it turns out axies are at high risk of jumping out, I'd like to have a lid that can keep my axie in, but allow for evaporation, ya know? I picked up a terrarium cover (its metal and lattice like) when I saw it on sale at my local pet store, but it completely slipped my mind that I have a Hang On Back filter, so the terrarium lid wont fit over that.

(perhaps someone as a suggestion on how I can DIY alter the terrarium cover?) (this is the cover)

Any and all advice appreciated!

That's a great idea. Unless you plan to keep your water all the way to the top lid which not recommend cause axolotl need to come to the top to breath from time to times, I know some can be jumper when they are young but most of the time if you handling them well, and there's no water condition problem they won't jump out at all. I never covered my tank . Only time i ever experience my axie jump is when my hand slipped cause I lost my footing when I was trying to catch them with the net and spooked them . They don't jump as high as fish so if you worry just keep your water in tank below 2 inch from the top lid they won't be able to jump out that easily . Plus jumpy would only can happen with small babies till young axolotl , after that they'll be too heavy to even make a leap . :D

Thanks so much for your reply! Going without the lid is probably my best option. I'd like to keep it down lower like you suggested, but it has to be up to a certain level for the filter to function properly. So, I'll experiment with the water level and position of the filter until I can keep the desired water level. I'm sure there's something I can rig up.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back