Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hiya! I'm Odd!

Odd

Reaction score
I'm new to axolotls but not aquariums or exotic pets. I fell in love with the idea of an axolotl and became enamored with the the challenge of planting a tank that an adventurous lotl wouldn't be able to tear up. I've kept planted tanks for many years and have no anxiety about cycling and am very accustomed to caring for medically needy aquatic animals from my time caring for and advocating for betta fish.

Below is my tank right now with the final hardscape and preliminary placements of plants. The pot still needs the door cut out, you can see where I've sketched it out. For plants, anubias will go on top, java fern will line the back part of the driftwood and any plant lets I have will go on the flat part in front of the outflow. Moss will actually be glued to the pot above the hole and it will grow to hang down like a curtain :)

If anyone has a male black melanoid axolotl that is at least a year old, please let me know! I am planning to have my tank up for about a month to work out any kinks before I get my axie, but I know what I want and when I want it!

75e347371076bb4f57ae533ff6e6fd47.jpg

Here is a sketch of what it will look like in the end :)

cbc27657bc0aa91597481429d049fc04.jpg

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the site!
If you have experience with aquariums you should be fine with the Axolotls. They seem more sensitive to nitrate than most fish I've kept in the past, but apart from that it's the same deal.
The only thing I'd say about your set up there is be sure to diffuse any water movement from the filter outlet. Filter sponge or dense plants work well enough, Axies can become stressed and unhappy in moving water. The plants you mention are a good choice, I've had planted Axolotl tanks in the past with Java ferns and moss, they both do well in the dim conditions that Axolotls prefer.
Good luck. :)

Odd

Reaction score
Oh absolutely, I already have the holes on the outflow pointed at the wall and the spot right in front of it is going to be very heavily planted. It's part of why I'm waiting so long to get my axolotl, to see what the flow is and if I need to get sponges or anything to break it up any more :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Odd

Reaction score
I may end up moving the outflow down even so that it is behind the driftwood more.

frogbody

Reaction score
Hi Odd! Welcome!!
Your setup looks really good, and the amount of thought and planning you're putting into the home of your (soon to be) new axie is admirable and actually a little heart warming, whatever lil guy that's lucky enough to move in is gonna be well taken care of.
Good luck and the best of wishes that everything goes well!

Odd

Reaction score
Thank you so much! I just for the whole tank together today, I'm really happy with how it has turned out! It will be ready in October and I might just have a 2 year old breeder male wild type lined up :)

0facb521e2b7f50e0fe6d81624597f2d.jpg

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks good, will look even better once the plants get hold!
I have spraybars in most of my tanks, to diffuse them I push them long ways into one or two long pieces of open cell koi filter sponge until the holes are all covered. Without any loss in flow, this will give you almost zero water current, even right next to it. I like the method because you can grow ferns or moss on the sponge to hide it completely.

Odd

Reaction score
I've definitely been looking at getting a pre-filter sponge for the spray bar and have one ready in my amazon shopping cart if I end up needing it :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1