Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hailea 150a water chiller info please

rvm987

Reaction score
Has anyone have a Hailea 150a that they can give me some info on please?

I STILL haven't got my axolotl as I'm still trying to sort out the tanks temperature. It seems that a water chiller is my final option so I've been looking at the Hailea 150a.

Apparently the noise is no worse than a standard fridge - but on watching a YouTube video this doesn't seem to be the case.

Is it like a regular low hum - like a small external pump/ PC running/fridge- only whilst its on standby- but then when it kicks in- its way noisier?

It will be in the bedroom and I'm really noise intolerant when trying to sleep.

I know I need a submersible pump to go with it and the one they recommend is the Hailea 8810. I'm wondering whether the pump will actually be noisier than the chiller. [I have my fish tanks pump on the lowest setting to stop the hum and even turn it off at some points!!]

It's frustrating that I cant find any local shops that sell or use chillers to get an idea of the volume, so this will be an internet purchase.

So if anyone has one and can advise, I'd be very grateful :)

Luca1980

Reaction score
I have the Hailea 300A running for my 4 foot tank (about 200L or 50-ish gallons). It IS noisy, sounds a bit like an airconditioner when it is running. BUT - its a great piece of equipment and is doing an awesome job of keeping my tank cool. Mine is in our study so its not really an issue. Not sure I would want it in a bedroom though, especially if I was a light sleeper.

Mine is also running off of my eheim canister filter, so I don't have experience with running it off a pump (sorry).

I would recommend getting one bigger than what you need. A bigger chiller will work less hard to keep your water cool - and therefore be running less of the time. A smaller chiller will have to work much harder to do the same job, and therefore be running (and ultimately noisy) all of the time.

Luca1980

Reaction score
Further to my above post.. my 300A worked for about an hour to slowly reduce my tank temp from 26 degrees down to 17 degrees. That was about 24hrs ago and it hasn't had to come back on since. I love it, best thing I have ever bought for any of my tanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1