Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New newt set up

lotty

Reaction score
I set this up today for a pair of babies. It needs damping down but dont want to do it early and it going mouldy.
IMG_1730_zpsr6yl13dr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I hope this image work out. I am having trouble loading photobucket on my laptop as it takes ages just to open a folder.

I hope the set up is ok. Small, but it will be adequate until they grow and I transfer them into a larger one.

lotty

Reaction score
Thanks. Lets see if I can do it this way. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1730.jpg
    IMG_1730.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1731.jpg
    IMG_1731.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 157

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You need to provide dark hides for them. I'm not sure what the round plastic artichoke thing is but it's not going to provide much in the way of security for a newt. Personally I'd ditch the paper towels and the plastic thing and add a substrate of topsoil or coco fibre with some bark hides.

lotty

Reaction score
You need to provide dark hides for them. I'm not sure what the round plastic artichoke thing is but it's not going to provide much in the way of security for a newt. Personally I'd ditch the paper towels and the plastic thing and add a substrate of topsoil or coco fibre with some bark hides.

Its a coconut with artificial leaves hot glued on. I will be getting some coco soil and can put that on the base. It is dark in the coconut hide.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I try to create different micro-climates in my baby newt tubs, this one is where my Cynops ensicauda live. The paper towel base substrate is kept quite damp, but there is a mesh fabric lid to aid ventilation. Although the whole enclosure looks wet in the pics (I just misted it) the terracotta pieces, cork bark and moss hopefully give the babies access to quite dry areas above the wet towels if they want. The piece of slate is where I put their food, I always put it in the same place and the babies soon learn where to go if they are hungry.

Attachments

• SAM_0530.jpg
    SAM_0530.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 127
  • SAM_0518.jpg
    SAM_0518.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 131

lotty

Reaction score
I try to create different micro-climates in my baby newt tubs, this one is where my Cynops ensicauda live. The paper towel base substrate is kept quite damp, but there is a mesh fabric lid to aid ventilation. Although the whole enclosure looks wet in the pics (I just misted it) the terracotta pieces, cork bark and moss hopefully give the babies access to quite dry areas above the wet towels if they want. The piece of slate is where I put their food, I always put it in the same place and the babies soon learn where to go if they are hungry.

Thanks. I like that set up. A trip to wilko's is needed for me. lol. Luckily enough, we have a wilkinsons and a pet supply shop close by.

My set up has a coconut hide, pebbles, food dish (lid) and water dish (lid), paper towel base sprayed with water, and has moss in it. The coconut hide has artificial leaves glued on it. There will be some more hides going in too. I will be making larger tank.
I have cut out the lid and placed mesh on it with hot melt glue so there is better circulation.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1