Help bought axolotl and need advise asap

pammyj

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i just bought a axolotl of a lady who had 3 in a tank but needed to re home them, one had bitten the others feet off so she wanted them re homed separately.
i said i would buy the tank and axolotl of her once she re homed the other 2.
I collected him last night and realised she didn't leave the filter.
So im little worried it will start a new cycle, the tank had some water and sand in i have put a temporary filter in but this was new, i have placed a small filter and some material bio balls etc in a tank all ready running at work so i can place this in the tank.
also i messaged her as there was no chlorine remover with the other bits and she said she never used any so i didn't when i filled tank incase it shocked him,
i know i need to use it as i'm surprised he survived this long she has had him since january my questions are
can i just dose with normal dose of chlorine remover or do i do it in smaller doses slowly ?
What can i do to help the water, incase it cycles also if she wasn't using chlorine remover would the bacteria be killed off any way ?
and he was just eating frozen bloodworms, can i try him with earthworms strait away or introduce them slowly
many thanks in advance .

Can you contact her to see if she can give you any of the internal filter media that was already seeded? Or, do you know anyone with an established fish tank that you can get filter media from?

I've never heard of a dechlorinator shocking an animal.

You can try earthworms. If they are big, chop them up.

hi thanks for your reply great ill get some chlorine remover asap and put it in, its only because she hasn't ever used it i was little worried.
also theres a tank running at a school i work at will see if i can get some filter media
i did mention it to her saying it will cycle if i don't have the filter but she said his hardy and be fine Don't think she new to much about water cycle etc or de chlorinating the water.
just fed him an earthworm so he seems to like it :)

Axolotls aren't super hardy, they're big babies when it comes to poor water or heat, but they do soldier on.
Definitely try to get some established filter media, it really would help.
Also just don't worry about the chlorine remover - do normal doses, I'm sure your axie would really appreciate the chlorine free water lol ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely not "hardy." They can regenerate limbs, so I suppose they are hardy in that sense, but they are super sensitive to poor water conditions.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back