Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Please help

izsotom

Reaction score
Hy everybody,

I d like to ask for advise because I ve never met this problem like this...
I asked my friends to care about my axolotls but I got back them like that
Both are so slim barely visible gills and the female are red
No hungry indifferent behaviour..
I searched for the cure but nothing concrete , there is not too much literature on this topic :(
Please write if you have met this symptom.. I am waiting for expert advise NOT what should I do or you think this or that..
I have these animals for 5 years, I have bred them many times
I love them but I should have moved to UK and leave them in Hungary :(
I hope I can save them so please help if you can!

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 14285386_1406566202691260_120345383_o (1).jpg
    14285386_1406566202691260_120345383_o (1).jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 148

Odd

Reaction score
Have you looked for a vet anywhere near you? I know my vet I can call and they can give basic advice over the phone, but if you are adamant to get only expert advice and not troubleshooting steps, I recommend immediate veterinary care.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Wysper

Reaction score
It looks like ammonia burns to me, but I am no "expert" just a concerned pet momma that doesn't like to see any animal suffer. Clean, cool, fresh DE-chlorinated water should be your first and foremost step.

Unfortunately, you are so adamant about "expert advise" that most people here won't give you an answer.... we aren't veterinarians.... most of us anyway. Most care of animals is troubleshooting... different effects can cause the SAME symptoms, and our babies cannot talk to us to tell us what is wrong.

izsotom

Reaction score
Have you looked for a vet anywhere near you? I know my vet I can call and they can give basic advice over the phone, but if you are adamant to get only expert advice and not troubleshooting steps, I recommend immediate veterinary care.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Unfortunately in Hungary there is not too much information about these kind of animals...
They just make some guess ... Actually I took my first axolotl to the vet cuz he had a bacterial infection... He gave a liquid to cure him /the medicine was for the livestock e.g. pigs and cows/ and I used the quantity he suggested but one day after my pet died...
And I payed a lots of money for this,,, for nothing actually... I dont reallly trust the vets in my country

izsotom

Reaction score
It looks like ammonia burns to me, but I am no "expert" just a concerned pet momma that doesn't like to see any animal suffer. Clean, cool, fresh DE-chlorinated water should be your first and foremost step.

Unfortunately, you are so adamant about "expert advise" that most people here won't give you an answer.... we aren't veterinarians.... most of us anyway. Most care of animals is troubleshooting... different effects can cause the SAME symptoms, and our babies cannot talk to us to tell us what is wrong.

You have maybe right.. But dont need to be sarcastic.. There is no help for me if they suggest to change the water or put the pet in the fridge.. thats why I wrote that
I hoped sy have met with this problem before..
Perhaps the translation is not correct but I meant expert not a professional and educated vet ... It means for me NOT a beginner or not just a hobby keeper, who has this kind of animal for years ..

Actually you see, you helped with this a lot and thanks for it! :)

And yes,,, if only they could.. :/

Odd

Reaction score
http://www.univet.hu/en/services/clinics/clinic-of-exotic-animal-and-wildlife-medicine

http://www.drhorvathdavid.hu/allatorvos/clinic

http://www.veterinby.com/hungary-vet/bicske-vet/

I know how hard it is to find a vet you can trust, especially for exotic pets, so I looked up a few vets for you to call and talk to, or maybe email with pictures. From my experience with other aquatic animals, clean water and good food goes a long way to healing their skin, and I would agree that it looks like ammonia burns. I hope one of those links lead you to a more in-depth answer

emdalliance

Reaction score
I'd also agree that it looks like ammonia burns. If I'm totally honest, most vets don't know what an axolotl is or think they can treat it in the same way you can treat a fish - which you can't.

So I'd really follow the advice from people on here, the majority really know what they're talking about. Sometimes hobbyists know a lot more than a vet, as hobbyists look after one creature whereas vets have to know about many.

You need to start with very cool clean de-chlorinated water and change this daily to keep it clean and keep ammonia etc down. There's no point returning them to a tank. If you don't want to fridge them (though I think the cold will help them) then get two large containers (as big as you can) keep them separate in those and do daily water changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aliya23kk

Reaction score
If you can't find a vet in your area sometimes it help to even just call a vet in a different area that works a lot with axolotls and send them a photo of your axolotl. I did that once before and it turned out okay.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!