Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

H. cyanurus can't seem to stop floating

stanleyc

Reaction score
I have an H. cyanurus that can't seem to stop floating. Started a while ago, and she also seemed to be bloated for a while, including the neck. During that time she also seemed physically weak and disinterested in food. I separated her and the bloat has since disappeared and she seems strong again. However she still seems to be always floating and I can see her try to get down to the bottom for food but she can't. She also seems to have trouble eating. She has her normal appetite back and overall body movement seems normal but when she goes to eat tubifex worms, she has trouble.

Anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Thanks
Stanley

stanleyc

Reaction score
An update of sorts. She's not floating anymore. But another thing is, at first when I was feeding her tubifex worms, I could swear that a worm was coming out of where her gills used to be. I can't confirm cause it was gone before I can pull her out to look but I'm almost certain. And the thing is where her gills used to be, behind her head, there still is a pink spot that looks fleshy. Perhaps her gill structure never fully went away because I never gave her a truly terrestrial stage? She's morphed over a year ago btw. I don't think this has to do with her bloating from before and the floating and trouble with eating though because she was totally healthy for a long time after morphing before this started. Anyways, I will try to get some pictures of her up.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!