Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Loads of slugs

lotty

Reaction score
I have a load of small slugs in my garden. The frogs that are about dont seem to be eating them. They are a bit too big for my newts. Would it be worth getting a salamander to eat them. It would be easy going out at night and picking loads up for one. Would salamanders eat small slugs. I dont know what type of slug they are, there are about 2 or 3 types in the garden. Thanks in advance.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You mean just get salamanders and let them loose in your garden? Depending on your yard, they might not stay, or even survive. I don't have another solution, though.

AuSu

Reaction score
I've collected slugs in small plastic bags and frozen them for winter. Then they are easy to cut in small pieces and my newts will eat them. Have you tried that? If they are those yellow slugs which are really harmful in garden (I don't know their name in English), I've heard frogs/toads/newts don't want to eat them - maybe they taste bad???

Blackbun

Reaction score
I get cats in the garden but they don't do any harm so I'll not buy a dog. Unless you grow plants, can't you let the slugs be? I know all about slugs in the garden and my experience tells me that there is only one type of slug which any self respecting fire salamander or R. temporaria will eat and it's the small creamy coloured ones. I'll get a link. The other slugs might start small but they grow big, plus they are as tough as old boots and incredibly sticky.
YUMMY
ccff37741e28a1b85c4e7c2bf1065f76_zpsydrordip.jpg

lotty

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of getting a salamander for a tank and collecting free food. They might be the wrong type of slugs though. I think they are the black (maybe dark brown) ones with a orange/brown edge all around them. We have not got yellow ones. They only come out at night. We cant plant anything as what ever we plant gets eaten by the next day or the day after.

My son cut the lawn and there is about two good handfuls of grass cuttings on the edge of the lawn and last night, there was around 50 small slugs all over it plus loads on the lawn. I think the frogs and the hedgehogs around here ignore them or just dont like them.

I think I will just leave them.

lotty

Reaction score
These are the slugs.

Attachments

• IMG_1760.jpg
    IMG_1760.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1763.jpg
    IMG_1763.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 135

Blackbun

Reaction score
There are few slugs my fire salamanders will eat. I had a serious slug issue in my garden this spring and was collecting in excess of 400 individuals a day. I did count them as I picked them as I don't use any poisonous baits in the garden to protect wildlife etc. Even if these slugs were edible I'd need goodness knows how many salamanders.

My poor plants and not a single slug was suitable for food.

lotty

Reaction score
I know what you mean. lol. I have literary 100's in my garden at night time mostly. Every plant we planted was eaten. The only plants not eaten were in the wheelbarrow planters. Guess they are frit of heights or dont like climbing. lol. I bourt gourd seeds and got a couple of them to grow. I waited for the plants to get about 12" tall and put them in the garden. The slugs and / or snails had them by the second morning. Nothing was left. I wanted to make some gourd bird nest boxes.
If the local frogs and hedgehogs are not eating the slugs in my garden, I dont think Salamander would either.
I might still get a couple of sals as a pet though. Will have to see. :rolleyes: ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1