Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hey All My Name is Dave

Queenbee85

Reaction score
Hello everyone my name is Dave or David i have a White Fancy Axolotl at least thats what they told me at the pet store. anyway i wanted to introduce myself and my new pet Eartha to the group. i have a few questions and would like other members opinion i feel bad Eartha is alone in her tank the guppies dont really keep her company and she eats them so im looking for a tank mate that will be safe to live with her and not hurt her in any way im thinking of one of the same species (another axolotl) but are there any other tank mates the dont bother them or is it safer to get another axolotl or keep her alone help please any suggestions are welcome Please be nice im new at this i will try and attach picts of eartha mae with this post hopefully it works and you can tell me what you think

Attachments

• 20160926_051850.jpg
    20160926_051850.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 439
  • 20160926_051901.jpg
    20160926_051901.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 173
  • 20160915_181905.jpg
    20160915_181905.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 170

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The best tank mate would be another axolotl. But they don't really get lonely. That's anthropomorphic. Humans might get lonely but many animals do not.

Creekratt

Reaction score
Hello everyone my name is Dave or David i have a White Fancy Axolotl at least thats what they told me at the pet store. anyway i wanted to introduce myself and my new pet Eartha to the group. i have a few questions and would like other members opinion i feel bad Eartha is alone in her tank the guppies dont really keep her company and she eats them so im looking for a tank mate that will be safe to live with her and not hurt her in any way im thinking of one of the same species (another axolotl) but are there any other tank mates the dont bother them or is it safer to get another axolotl or keep her alone help please any suggestions are welcome Please be nice im new at this i will try and attach picts of eartha mae with this post hopefully it works and you can tell me what you think
I'd be concerned about any fish picking at your axies gills.

wolfen

Reaction score
axolotls before human interference were at the top of the food chain for their environment and ate anything that they could fit in their mouths, which means anything that is put in the tank is potential food, even each other. axolotl will cohabitate with each other but it isn't rare for minor to severe injuries to happen.
if the pet shop charged more for your white fancy then you have been conned as your axolotl is a white albino.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1