Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Cycling larger tank with water from old tank?

GarlicAlien

Reaction score
Hello most knowledgable members of caudata.org, please help a newbie out.

My three axies have been in their small 10g tank since they were tiny, but they have now grown enough to warrant an upgrade.

So I've acquired a 40g tank - and I've been trying to cycle it for a few weeks now, to no avail.

I placed only 4 guppies in it (that's the most I could get my hands on, my LFS is... not that great), but still ammonia, nitrite and nitrate all register at 0.

Then I had an idea - maybe instead of dumping the water from the water changes in my current (cycled) 10g tank, I could put it in the larger tank, thus helping to kickstart the cycle... Is this a good idea?

Alternately, I could attach the 40g's canister filter to the 10g - I'd have to seriously reduce its flow (not sure if that is healthy for the filter, it is rated for a whopping 650 liters or 170 gallons so it is quite overpowered even for the 40g), but then it'd have some actual filth to filter. Would this help?

Help appreciated!

Canecorsonewt

Reaction score
Can you use a piece of old filter out of 10 gallon to jump start your new tank. I have double sponge filter in cycled aquarium i take out one filter with bacteria on it switch with new one. So i have two double sponge filters each with one used and one new filter. Put one in old aquarium and one in new aquarium new aquarium usually is cycled within 3 days. They say cycled aquarium water does not cycle a tank. The substrate filter and decorations hold the bacteria last i read up on it.

GarlicAlien

Reaction score
I only have one sponge filter in the old, smaller tank so I can't move it to the new one (without breaking the cycle in the old tank).

My question is this - I think the problem with the new tank's cycle is that 4 guppies aren't creating enough ammonia for a 40g tank, but if I move 2g of old water from the old tank every week, I think that'd help start the cycle.
Is this true?

Dell

Reaction score
It may help but it would be very, very minimal. If you could use some filter media from an established tank is your best option to jump start. What you want is used/dirty media. If you can't do that from your old tank to the new one then ask your LFS if you could get a hunk of used filter media (floss,sponge or whatever they have)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1