3 legged wild salamander questions

Emily83

Reaction score
Country
United States
3 days ago I found a 3 legged salamander trying to cross the road. Generally, I believe in "putting it back where you found it," but she/he was having a heck of a time crossing the road and would have been run over for sure (I stopped traffic to grab her). When I picked her up she felt very dry-I don't know much about salamanders, but I was pretty sure this wasn't normal.
I've since found out she is a spotted salamander. I think she is a "she," because she is about 7 in long. She seems happy in the fir bark substrate that I bought from Petsmart. I mist it twice a day and have a shallow water dish big enough for her to lay in if she wants. Having fish, I have the solutions to take out the chlorine and hard metals.
My plan is to keep her until her leg grows back and then put her back where I found her in the Spring. There is no wound and she seems strong.
How long will it take for her leg to grow back?
I'm concerned about her eating, she did take half of a dried cricket for me yesterday, and I will try more live-ish food. But how easy will a wild salamander adapt to captivity, will she continue to eat for me or is this going to be a struggle?
I appreciate the help, thanks!

You could catch worms outside where no chemicals are sprayed. Place a floor mat or a potted plant extra on the grass outside. Check every 24 hours you should find some goody's for your girl to eat.:D. She might not eat for a week or more. Most caudata owners say there new pet doesn't eat for a week or more. You should take pictures and post them. Plus i dont know anything about it but do your research. You might not want to release it back into the wild? Good luck.

Here is the only picture I have. It was when I first brought her home. She is in a different enclosure now.

Attachments

• IMG_0371.jpg
    IMG_0371.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 247
She gobbled up an earthworm tonight, so that makes me feel relieved. Thank you for the advice everyone.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back