Too cold?

Holly12

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So, with Fall here, Stellys tank has gone to about 14 - 15 degrees. Is that bad for him? He's definitely not pooping as much or as hungry. We've turned the room heat up a bit to try to get him closer to 16. Just wondering if a night time drop of 13-14 degrees Celsius and then day of 15 is bad?

That temperature should be just fine. I wouldn't worry about the tank being to cold unless you notice Ice forming on top of the water. axolotls thrive in cold water.

His metabolism will slow down with the temperature being lowered, and he will probably eat a little less and produce less waste, but all off these are perfectly normal attributes.

Awesome, thanks. He wouldn't tong feed today, so I left it in his bowl and he can eat it later if he wants. I will try again tomorrow. I just checked his tank now and he's up to 15.2, so the room is warming a bit.

He's 5.5 to 6" long, so about 5 or 6 months old. When can I go to every other day feedings and then every 3 days?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back