A Unique Tail

onyx2011

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay, so it's officially been a week since Tabitha has joined me! This is my first time doing a salamander, but I've kept fish for forever, and did tons of research. In the midst of my research, I've noticed that nearly all axolotls have a smooth, very aerodynamic tail and fin. My wild type seems to be the exception. His tail resembles a piece of seaweed! I can't take stellar pics, but here's my attempt at trying to get a picture while the active lotl had his tail facing me for more than 2 seconds

IMG_20161010_195408527.jpg

(Hope that worked, I'm bad at attaching pics XD

I'm not concerned, just curious as to why Tabitha has a ripply tail whereas most axolotl pics I see have smooth tails

It was kind of hard to see in your photo so I tried to lighten it up, hopefully someone who knows a little more can help you but it should be much easier to see what's going on with his tail in the photo now.

Good luck and congratulations on your new axolotl!

Attachments

• IMG_20161011_060514.jpg
    IMG_20161011_060514.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 130
It was kind of hard to see in your photo so I tried to lighten it up, hopefully someone who knows a little more can help you but it should be much easier to see what's going on with his tail in the photo now.

Good luck and congratulations on your new axolotl!
Thanks for lightening up, it's hard to take a good pic of a wild type when hes swimming by some rocks which are also dark. Doesn't help that my room lights are dying, only one lightbulb regularly works :p

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back