Should I be worried about my Axy's gills?

brolithe

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently adopted an adult axolotl and am a bit worried about the condition of her gills (namely the ones on the left!).I never paid close attention to her gills previously so I don't have much reference to what they normally (?) look like so I was hoping to get your thoughts (see photos)z

My main reason for concern is due to the cycling of her tank. Since I received her tank and filter along with her I couldn't really cycle the new a tank so I placed her filter in a bag of tank water for the short trip to my house in order to preserve the bacteria. However, I discovered when I got home that the filter I packed away was used solely for dampening the stream from the filter and the real filter actually endured a 30 min ride (in which I assume most the bacteria died) without water.

Right now the tank conditions seem fine albeit the ammonia being at about .25 ppm. She is also active and eating with out problem so I haven't been too concerned.

Hoping her gills are just as derpy as she is!

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 131
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back