Question: Juvenile tank setup

Fowwy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Morgan
I’m new to this forum and wasn’t sure whether this topic falls more under the topic of raising babies or tank setup (please move to correct topic if necessary)?

Long story short, I have some experience with adult axolotls, but not so much with raising juveniles. Axies are really hard to find in my area, but I stumbled across some available 3-4” juveniles. Depending on your responses I’m planning on getting a pair…

I own both a 10gal and a 60gal long tank. (I’m currently working on getting both cycled)
My questions are:

1 .Can I house them in the 10gal together for awhile (until they’re how long?) and then transfer to the 60gal?
2. Is the 10gal too small regardless of it being a temp home for the two?
3. Is it possible to give them too much room so young if I keep them in the 60gal? Should I keep the water shallow, or just invest in a medium sized tank?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back