Question: Succulent plants

lotty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Ian
I am finishing off my tank for fire salamanders. Are succulent plants ok to put in the soil. I am thinking the rockery sort, not cactus type. I have hides, branches, soil and mosses in there and a plastic plant. I have put some woodlice and crickets in there too. There are some adults and baby woodlice. Photo to follow

This is my set up

Attachments

• IMG_1814.jpg
    IMG_1814.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 134
Got more moss and some ivy for the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_1815.jpg
    IMG_1815.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1816.jpg
    IMG_1816.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 143
I agree with lotty on this one.
Out of interest why are you going for succulents which tend to be addapted to arid and bright light conditions rather than ferns and mosses? I think the humidity might cause issues with succulents rotting.

I agree with lotty on this one.
Out of interest why are you going for succulents which tend to be addapted to arid and bright light conditions rather than ferns and mosses? I think the humidity might cause issues with succulents rotting.

Thanks. I never thought about the humidity causing rotting in them.
My thinking was that succulants, like cacti take moisture out of the air as they live in arid ground. If they are in the tank, the tank will get misted every day to keep the mosses damp and plants watered. I might not put any in. Not got any yet. I have ivy in there and have put a piece of wild geranium in there too. The mosses dont seem to be going brown and I think I need more leaf litter. I will have to take the dog for a walk and find fallen leaves from oak trees. I have a willow tree in my back garden and hope the leaves that fall off that will be ok too as it is a hard wood tree.

Are cherry and apple leaves ok for the terrarium and safe for sals. I get my salamanders either tomorrow or wednesday. .

Most of my moss is on tree bark from a local woods where a tree had fallen years ago. The bark came off pretty easy with plenty of moss. With the rotting bark under the moss, it is ideal for the woodlice. The crickets are all over the moss. I checked there were no bugs and insects on the moss before placing in the tank.

My tank just now. Temp 19.3c and humidity 43%

Attachments

• IMG_1852.jpg
    IMG_1852.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1850.jpg
    IMG_1850.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1851.jpg
    IMG_1851.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 124
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back