Moving my newts

Reaction score
Country
United States
Due to unfortunate circumstances i am going to have to move. Im really worried about my newts. I have 2 tanks of larvae and a 75 gallon for 6 adults. The aduts will have to live in a 20 gallon temporarily and ill have to move all larvae to one tank until i can get my own pace again and set them back up. Breaking down the tanks, taking the rocks out etc is going to be a whole days work in itself. I hope my adults will be ok in the smaller tank for a short time, couple of months, hopefully less. The ride to the new temporary home will be about an hour. What should i transport them in? Im really worried about my fagile larvae and the tiny morphs. I also have a blackworm culture that i wont have room for so im guessing ill have to just put all the blackworms into the 2 tanks ill have at the new place. Im really depressed about having to move. If anyone has any tips for moving these guys id appreciate it. Id hate to have losses due to the move.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Larvae are really, really difficult to move. To avoid damage from shaking, I would suggest using as small a container as possible, filled to the brim with their tank water, crammed with plants, and with a tight waterproof lid. It's probably worth separately transporting some more of their tank water (if you can) to put them back in when they arrive.

Adults and metamorphs would probably be better transported out of water. Again, I'd suggest using a small container, crammed with damp moss or paper towels.

I'm sorry to hear about this move - I hope everything works out for you!

I agree with Caleb. You will want to pack the newts as if you were shipping them. This article may help: Caudata Culture Articles - Shipping, but it pretty much just elaborates on what Caleb said.

Best of luck!

HJ

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back