Axolotl not eating.

Emma101

Reaction score
Country
England
Hi I have an axolotl around 6months old. I don't know whether it is a female or not but it isn't eating the reason I'm bringing gender into play is I was told they either go off their food or are about to lay eggs. I have tried to feed it freeze dried bloodworms, he ate them at the begging but stopped, frozen blood worms but hasn't touched them. I don't know what's wrong with it and I'm worried he hasn't eaten for at least a week someone please help!!!

Re: My Black Axolotl wont eat. Should I worry?

Again I say he but I don't know the gender!!!

Re: My Black Axolotl wont eat. Should I worry?

If you read above , you might notice that there are many reason your axolotl stop eating. And if you alread checked other problem ( water quality, temperature, gravel digested problem, fungus infection, eggs etc)

my only advice would probably more involving with try changing diet. Try other food available. I have one skinny daddy albino who is very healthy but just really really dislike earth worms , he kept spitting out while other axolotl is eating earth worms with no problem. and pellet just don't seem enough to gain the Shape back. After I went back to feeding my axie with live black worms from my previous place that I used to ordered from. He's eating again. It just abit more expensive than earth worms or frozen food. Some other axie might prefer just pellet, live krill, live feeder fish, etc. I guess some axolotl just happen to have taste differently than other. Maybe from the first stable food that the seller fed before you'even got them from, so best if you try to ask around.

Have you tried small earthworms? make sure they are small enough to eat easily at the begining.
I have also fed mine prawn, (soak frozen ones to get as much salt out as possible), mussels, raw cod, axolotl pellets, etc.
Does your axolotl look as if it has lost weight? Can you find anything wrong, such as the things that tipnatee has mentioned?
Don't worry just yet, axolotls can go several weeks without eating when healthy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back