Bloated belly, but not floating?

treatsnsnoozin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone!

I'm a relatively new Axie owner and I seem to be having a little bit of trouble with my little guy Ollie. He's been gradually bloating in his belly, and today he's been very lethargic so I'm starting to get worried. Other than being bloated and lazy, he hasn't been showing any other tell-take signs of stress and hasn't been floating at all.

My parameters are pretty good, but I've started doing 20-30% water changes every other day for the sake of keeping him in the "cleanist" water possible. His temperature is currently around 54 degrees Farenheit and I've been keeping his tank covered with a black sheet to provide him with the darkest, least stressful environment possible.

I originally thought constipation, because it's happened to him before when on a strictly black worm diet. I've since switched it up a little bit and have added sinking pellets and freeze dried shrimp into the mix for some variation. He hasn't been passing a whole lot that I can find...

My second thought is impaction. The whole time he's been with me (since August) he's been on sand. In addition, the place I got him from had a bare bottom tank. They did however have a little cave covered in tiny stones. Could he maybe have taken in some of those?

I'm just not sure what to do for him. Could he still have tiny stones in him from that long ago? Does fridging him sound like my best option?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back