Eggs everywhere

mrsmurda1

Reaction score
Country
United States
Came home from work tonight to a tank with eggs everywhere. Looks like my ribbed newts have been busy. Now what do I do. I'm new to this and now I have eggs. Do I need to remove the eggs and put them in a tank by themselves.

I let firebelly eggs be in their parents' tank and pick morphed ones to terrestial set-ups. It takes about three months so you're in no hurry. Take a look in the caudata culture, I think there's detailed info about development from egg to morph and how to take care of youngsters. There's also many discussions about the subject here, sorry I can't link now since I can't do it with phone.. If you don't want babies, then I'd say collect away as much as you can find (as early as possible) and if they are still eggs, you could freeze them.

I do not breed this species so I have no personal experience, but the Caudata Culture species article for Pleurodeles waltl says that while larvae and juveniles should be placed in their own tank to prevent parental cannibalism, the adults generally leave their eggs alone. So it may be a good idea to set up a rearing tank for once eggs hatch, but until them you may be able to leave the eggs where they are.

Best of luck!

HJ

Well I didn't have time to get another tank setup but for the moment the adults don't seem to be bothering the latter that has hatched. It happened some time today while I was at work. It's not going to be easy getting this guy's out of this big tank. Oh and they are still laying eggs.

Attachments

• 20161031_210851.jpg
    20161031_210851.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 20161031_210914.jpg
    20161031_210914.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 78
  • 20161031_211204.jpg
    20161031_211204.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 109
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back