Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Rookie Q's

its300

Reaction score
First off let me say i am new to axolotls but have grown out about 10-15 of eastern tiger salamander larvae since i was a kid. I know there's a difference witch is why i came here for questions.
1.is 3 in a 15 gallon to crowded ?
2.will live plants in tank make gills smaller from too much oxygen in tank?
3.will they eat bladder snail an become compacked?

thx in advance i know these are random things but these are questions i'm unsure of .

Donna001

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome tot he forum. :happy:

I have attached a link with some information about tank sizes for axolotls
http://sillyaxolotls.wixsite.com/sillyaxolotls/tank-sizes
15g is crowded for 1 axie. I guess it would be ok for very young axies, but you would need to be looking at a much bigger tank very quickly. All my guys are mature now, and are around 12 inches long. They are not the most elegant or co-ordinated of animals, so quite a bit of space for moving/turning, and several hides are a good idea.

The oxygen/gill size debate is ongoing. Whether gill size is related to water quality, oxygen, environment I don't know as I'm not experienced enough to be able to get to the bottom of this, but I do have live plants in my tanks because I like thom and my fellas seem to enjoy hiding and resting in them. I have an issue with some of my fellas having smaller gills at the moment, but this isn't related to the plants because they've had live plants in their tanks for a long time, and the gill problem is more recent.

As for snails inthe tank, as a general rule it is not a good idea to have any other anumals in the tank with your axolotls.
Caudata Culture Articles - Species Mixing Disasters
Snails the same size as gravel will cause the same problems asgravel, as you have mentioned. Fine sand substrate, slate tile, or no substrate at all seems to be the most popular for axolotl safety.

I've only had my gang since February/March, so not very experienced, but this forum and the following sites are those I have used for research.
Caudata Culture Axolotl Articles
Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander
http://sillyaxolotls.wixsite.com/sillyaxolotls

I hope that this has been of some help. :happy:

emdalliance

Reaction score
The advice above is really good advise! With some good links too.

I always have live plants in all of my tanks. Fish enjoy them. Axolotls like to hide in them, under them, lie on them and so forth. I've never had an axolotl lose gills due to too much oxygen.. as in, I have LOTS of plants and 2 airstones in my tank and my axolotls have not changed gill size. ☺️
I think it's more water quality/genetics than oxygen levels honestly. But oxygen levels having an effect does make a lot of sense.. ? it's a topic that's widely debated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!