Looking to add some Axolotls to the Family

samlynn364

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Sam
Hi everyone!

I have had Axolotls before but it has been quite some time now. I had a bad break up in which I had to leave the house in which I was living very quickly. Of course my main priority was getting all of my animals out, however the stress eventually got to my two poor Axys. They made it for about a month but unfortunately slowly declined. It was a tough loss watching them fade and trying everything I could to save them, to no avail. They had been perfectly healthy up to that point, but I think the move must've been too much for them. They went from said 125 gallon tank to a 40 gallon, and that may have been a factor as well.

It's been about a year now, and I have a 125 gallon tank sitting empty that I've been having trouble deciding what to do with. I would really like to bring some more Axolotls into my home, preferably at least two. I had gotten my two Axolotls from a pet store in town previously, but that pet store no longer sells axolotls so there isn't anywhere around that can provide them any longer.

I know there are some places to order from online, but I'd like to see if I can get them from someone here first.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post! I look forward to hearing from anyone who needs to rehome some Axolotls!

If you go on the we love axolotls facebook page, Joann Payne has a bunch. She runs the page and her prices are reasonable, plus she is very helpful. I think she has leucistics, albinos, and malenoids.
Hope you are able to bring some new babies home soon!
Nina

Thank you so much! I haven't used Facebook in many years and just got back onto it, I didn't even think about checking there. I will definitely do that. :)

Do you monitor the nitrogen cycle and tank temperature? Moving Axolotls to a new tank or moving the tank is no issue at all if the water quality is correct.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back