Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dark coloured sand?

beans

Reaction score
I'm setting up my tank and planning on getting a Leucistic Axolotl!
So i thought darker sand would be better to see it with, but i have wanted to have white sand aswell so i'm not sure what would be better.

anyway i have the Tahitian moon sand and read that its probably too rough for them.

can someone give me a list of good sands to use please!
i also live in australia if that helps.
(i've used sand before for goldfish and i know how messy it can be but i don't like the look of barebottom)

I dont like the look of playsand colour i would prefer black,grey or white. i have been searching for days but cant find anything!

Wysper

Reaction score
From what I have read, an axolotl will sometimes slightly change color to blend more into their surroundings. Example: A dark wild type axolotl will slowly become lighter if placed on a white/light substrate. Or a dirty luecistic will develop more pronounced markings, and sometimes new ones when placed on a darker substrate.

The substrate you use is entirely up to you. They don't care, or require it.

I have seen people use slate tiles in the bottom of their tanks when they don't want to use a substrate, but don't want it to be the clear color either.

Other options are putting a backing on the bottom of the tank (not in the water, underneath) so there is a color there.

Felixtacat

Reaction score
My leucistic is on black sand and I think the contrast looks really nice. I used National Geographic black aquarium sand but I'm not sure if you can find it in Australia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holly12

Reaction score
I had my leucistic on black sand and it was too rough and wore the skin away from his toes so the bones are exposed. I changed to a super soft white sand that is safe for fresh water stingrays (since they burrow) so I know it's soft. He's in the process of healing.
Turns out, my black sand was crushed obsidian. It actually hurt my hands scooping it out of the tank. His new sand is so so soooooooo soft now.

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Tahitian Moon sand is not safe for Axolotls, it is shardy and very course and can damage Axolotls internally. Read this thread: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beginner-newt-salamander-axolotl-help-topics/f48-axolotls-ambystoma-mexicanum/f59-axolotl-tank-set-ups-filters-substrate/80274-warning-about-tahitian-moon-sand.html

Fine sand is ideal, good for the toes and doesn't clog the digestive system if ingested. I have never heard of Axolotls changing in colour based on their surroundings, only that the skin pigment can change from high exposure to light.

White sand will allow you to see dirt and debris easily, and generally makes a tank brighter. I would go with white sand. Be sure to rinse the sand thoroughly before use otherwise the tank water could be very cloudy from all the dust and dirt that is mixed in the sand. I poured all my sand into a pillow case and ran water through it for about 45 mins until the water coming out the bottom of the pillow case was running clear.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1