New to axolotls, not sure what I have.

Emily Alvarez

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Emily
I have been wanting an Axolotl for five months now, I have done some research on the habitat it needs, the temperature, ph, and food.

So I got a 20 gallon tank at the beginning of the month, and been cycling it for about 4 weeks. I have a live plant and sand set up right now, no heater and a low flow filter with a moss ball breaking up water flow.
I've had fish in the past but I've never had an axolotl.
I was looking into buying one from a couple breeders, which would have been a much better choice.
But just yesterday I saw that my local pet store had what I thought was axolotls.
What concerns me, is the woman at the store called them all types of names like "mud puppies" and "water dogs", which are two different things and are NOT axolotls.
And then she said it may or may not morph later on.
I was so excited I bought it anyway,despite all the misinformation.
So now I'm wanting to check if it is an axolotl or not, I still have the receipt and can return him.

Is there anyway an expert could let me know what I have.
It's a little skinny is fed it blood worms yesterday and he gobbled them up very fast.
Thanks
-Emily

image.jpg

I am no expert, but I am pretty sure that the animal you have in that tank is not an axolotl. That animal is the larval version of a tiger salamander. I believe that it will morph into a tiger salamander. Just in case I am wrong you might want to wait for expert responses.

It looks like a Tiger salamander to me, also.
It most definitely is not a mudpuppy.

I agree, this looks like a larval tiger salamander. I found the morphing process of these really interesting...and they are amazing, fun animals once they morph :)

There are several threads on this forum from people who have been sold larval tiger salamanders instead of axolotls. Luckily that have posted pictures of the morphing process (which was fascinating), so if you want to know what you could be in for it might be worth looking through some of the posts.

Welcome, it does look like a Tiger larva but they are very cool as adults and have an interesting personality. I say get another tank set up for him as he grows and keep both!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back