Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Babies gills curling under

jessielynn0902

Reaction score
I noticed when changing water last night that about 3/4 of my babies gills looked odd. It seems like the filaments are possibly gone but its hard to tell being so small but their gills are curled under. Everything I've tried searching talks about them curling forward, not under, so I was wondering if anyone had seen this before and had an idea of what the cause is. The babies are anywhere from 1"-2.5" and i cant give water paramaters because they get 100% changes 1-2 times a day. They're in tubs with about 5-10 in each and this is across all tubs, not just one, but some tubs all of them are like this and some tubs theres a few that aren't. Thanks

Attachments

• 20161102_022735.jpg
    20161102_022735.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 156
  • 20161102_022749.jpg
    20161102_022749.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 168
  • 20161102_022715.jpg
    20161102_022715.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 159

Donna001

Reaction score
I've not got any experience with such young axolotls, but I'm sure that someone more experienced will be along to offer advice.
Are they still eating and behaving as expected?
They are beautiful little axolotls. :happy:

jessielynn0902

Reaction score
I've not got any experience with such young axolotls, but I'm sure that someone more experienced will be along to offer advice.
Are they still eating and behaving as expected?
They are beautiful little axolotls. :happy:

Thanks, yes they are still eating and behaving normally. If not for the unusually curled gills I wouldn't think anything was wrong.

Wysper

Reaction score
Did you figure out what was causing this? Or have they outgrown it?

Just wanting to know if the babies are still doing alright. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1