Question: Temperature Control Issues

Kenchi

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey there; I am a new owner of an Axolotl.

I have done tons of research on these critters before buying them.

My little axie's name is Kenchi, and he's about 3 inches right now.
(Sorry the image is so huge; I took it with my phone!)

Had to upload it to my google plus.

Link: https://plus.google.com/104408012258324538318/posts/7N8VGgmeyMa

He's a really pretty wild type and I absolute love him. He's so cute and tiny, and very active, but sometimes has his down times where he relaxes.

I have anubias in the tank, some substrate (fine so no worries about bloating/constipation), hiding spots, fake plants, an airstone and the water is filtered of course. The tank is a 10 gallon but I plan on moving him to a 20 gallon in probably January when I have the money to make the move.

I live in Texas so it's quite hot, and I'm struggling keeping the water cool.
I bought a aqua med fan and I also freeze water bottles and exchange them to keep the water cool, but I've only managed to get it a little under 70 Fahrenheit, and just that has been an arduous task.

When the fan gets here I am going to install it, do you think that'll be enough for my little axie or is there anything else I can do to keep the water cold?

I live in Australia and in summer here (now fast approaching) it can easily reach 45 degrees (113 Fahrenheit) for several days in a row. I got a Haillea 300A chiller for my axie tank. It is easily the best investment I have ever made for any of my aquariums. It keeps the water at a steady 17 degrees (62F) no matter what the ambient temp of the room is (we don't have air con). I thought about doing the water bottles etc but if it was hot when I was at work there's no way this would be effective. I also looked into aquarium fans but none that I found would have made any significant difference in temp.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back