Question: Setting up a tank for crocodile newts.

Graeme

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello,

I'm in the process of setting up my 40 gallon breeder tank for two crocodile newts (Tylototriton verrucosus).

Currently as is I have the tank split into a land and water section, the land section measures in at 12"x18", and water section by 24"x18", but this includes the gentle slope. The base of the water section measures in at 12"x18" and at 7" deep.

I can always drop the water level a bit if they prefer land over water to increase the overall surface area of the land section or add some form of floating island.

I am using Hydro balls as my drainage layer, roughly 3" deep, along with a coconut fiber soil with mesh in between the two.

For filtration I am using a simple sponge filter to help keep currents down and cut down on water change maintenance.

As of now I am cycling the water with some guppies before ordering the newts.

I am going to be adding live plants in both the aquatic side and the terrestrial side, thinking some mosses, leaves, and other random plants. I'm also going to be purchasing one or two hides for the terrestrial side as well.

My question is does anyone have any input on what else the tank needs or if I'm on the right track to house these two newts?

Pictures for reference.

GCLEwyY.jpg

scbN3L0.jpg

uj25RBz.jpg

Looks promising, but keep in mind that T.verrucosus will be fully aquatic most of the time. Just a bit of floating cork bark would have sufficed, but of course it never hurts to give them a proper terrestrial area.

Looks promising, but keep in mind that T.verrucosus will be fully aquatic most of the time. Just a bit of floating cork bark would have sufficed, but of course it never hurts to give them a proper terrestrial area.

Thanks for the reply. From what I've found on my internet research is most owners provide a proper land area, at least the ones that post on forums and make videos haha.

The care sheet on this forum also stated a 50/50 tank works best for the author.

Either way im sure it will work fine, if not its easily changeable.

And recommendations for terrestrial plants that could grow in a low power LED setup? And some aquatic plants that newts generally prefer over others?

I also keep my animals fully aquatic. I do provide a turtle dock, which only the small juveniles use. I do find that mine will be more inclined to use the land area if the water temperature gets to cool for their liking.
My set up is a Walstad style tank. This is a soil base which I then planted lots of aqautic plants. I then added a layer of fine gravel . They do not have a filter, but I do use an aerator from time to time. I let the tank then establish for a little while to allow the plant roots to grow and then added the newts. About once a month I do a little plant tidy up and remove some of the mulm..then top up water.

I have mine in a 50-50 tank. The female spends most of the year terrestrial, and the males are usually in the water.

I have mine in a 50-50 tank. The female spends most of the year terrestrial, and the males are usually in the water.

Thanks for your input! Hope my tank is adequate for two of them haha

A little update.

Still no newts as my friends supplier could not get any in because of a disease going around, which I assume that means they would have been wild caught which is no good.

I did however get more work done on the tank and cycled the aquatic portion of the tank so it's newt ready! I just need to find them now...

b8aaAjQ

How the tank is as of today. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back