Illness/Sickness: Unhealthy Gills/Tentacles Not Eating

StuStu

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey Guys,

I could really use some advice for my little guy.

He is 3 years old, been in the same tank for the last 2 years. I change 25% ish of his water every 2-3 weeks or so. Has no live plants or substrate in the tank its literally a 30 gallon tank, a plastic plant and a hidey hole.

I give him a cube of blood worms every day via a turkey baster and he has always had a healthy appetite but he hasnt eaten for the last week.

His tentacles have always looked nice and fluffy but recently he has been getting a lot of white fuzz on them which i assumed to be part of the regrowth process. The top 2 sets have never been as big and bright as the bottom set but something odd is happening and the top 2 sets are now barely growing back and the bottom set has gone all stringy.

Limbo also used to be very active and we would often find him swimming back and forth across the tank for hours and hours on end but he has barely moved over the last week and won't even take food when i drop it on his mouth.

I'm concerned about a infection but there are no vets around my area so the only info i can get is from online which can lead down a number of different paths. I'm thinking about trying a salt bath but im concerned that because he has never had one before the shock of getting one plus whatever infection is happening might make things worse.

I took a bag of tank water and a bag of tap water to the local fish shop and they tested for me and said that the levels were totally fine. I dechlorinate the water every time i do a change and add bio support to the tank as well

I'm supposed to go away for 3 weeks over christmas and leave the little guy with the girlfriends mom. She will have instructions on how to feed him and clear the mess up each day but she won't know if anything is wrong and i'm worried that things could get worse while im not here so any suggestions to get my little dude back to full health would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 20161113_025600.jpg
    20161113_025600.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 486
Ha un fungo. É una micosi da trattare con prodotto veterinario specifico.

Inviato dal mio ASUS_Z00AD utilizzando Tapatalk

Re: Unhealthy Gills/Tentactles Not Eating

What temperature is the water? What exactly were the test results?

Fungus is nearly always caused due to poor water quality and temperature.

You should always have your own liquid testing kit to test for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate which are part of the Nitrogen Cycle that controls your water quality which in turn affects your Axolotls health. Relying on an aquatic store to test your water is not recommended.

Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality

Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back