Red spots on axolotls tail?

WaterPotato

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi experts :wacko: My axolotl has some red spots on his tail and a little on his neck. Is this a bacterial infection? I tested the water recently and all is well even the temperature. I did just move and he came with me so would this just be him being stressed? He hasn't eaten for a few days now and the end of his tail is hooked. I'm starting to get worried about him. I've been giving him salt baths but anyone really know whats up?

Attachments

• IMG_2380.jpg
    IMG_2380.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 561
  • IMG_2381.jpg
    IMG_2381.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 462
UPDATE: He ate a peice of nightcrawler for me :D but whats the red dots from? :confused:

Looks like a simple abrasion that should clear up in a few days.

OK, cool. I just finished the 3rd day of salt bathes so lets hope it goes. He has a smaller cave that he somehow squeezes into so maybe thats what caused it. I'll take that out then thanks :D

OK, cool. I just finished the 3rd day of salt bathes so lets hope it goes. He has a smaller cave that he somehow squeezes into so maybe thats what caused it. I'll take that out then thanks :D

You shouldn't be giving salt baths unless it is absolutely necessary. It can be very stressful for the Axolotl and burn the skin, also make sure to always use non-iodized salt. As Elise said it is a minor abrasion, sometimes Axolotls will scrape their tails on an ornament and it can damage the skin slightly leaving the red marks, similar to when you scratch yourself and you get a red mark. Salt baths are only needed for more serious conditions such as fungus or other more harmful skin conditions.

Not eating could have been attributed to the move, or change in the water parameters since you will have pretty much change his whole environment by moving.

Nope I saved a lot of his water in jugs. I probably only actually took out 25% and he needed a water change anyways so why not. I didn't know what it was at first so i kind of panicked with the salt bath but that could be another reason for him not eating as much as he used to. The red spots are going away now though, hopefully his appetite will be back to :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back