Axolotl gills shrinking

Chevybabe1961

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Missy
Hey everyone, I'm having an issue with my Axie's gills shrinking. I do a 40% or more water change every third day. They are in a 90 gallon tank and there's 7 lottles in there. I have a chiller and a Fluval 305 on the tank along with two sponge filters. My water levels are what they should be with the ammonia being a tiny bit higher then it should be, but I checked it before I did the water change tonight. I did my first cleaning of the canister since I added it last month two weeks ago. So could I maybe have affected my cycle? They are all on worms as a staple and bloodworms as an occasional treat. My water's still as well. I'm not seeing ANY signs of illness or fungus or injury. Can SOMEONE tell what could be going on? It's got me super worried!!!

Can you include some pictures? It could be anything from toxicants from the nitrogen cycle to water current. I suspect it would be the former as 7 axolotls in 90 gallons is quite a bit. I have 4 adults in a shared water volume of around 75 gallons and I need to do 90% water changes every other day to keep the parameters ideal.

They're ALL juvies. No one over 6 inches. I also have tons of filtration, besides the canister I have a sponge filter for 125 gallons and a second smaller one rated for 50 gallons. It seems to be a sudden thing as I've had the same population for about a year. I can grab ya a pic in a bit. my husband has my phone.

So could I maybe have affected my cycle? Yes this is possible (filter dirty?)
The filter needs to start this can take several weeks.
The more filtering the longer it may take, it has to get food for healthy bacteria growth.
I own four 30 cm axo's in a plastic container without soil cover with a water layer of 45 liter.
Filtered with a mini pump 260 l/h placed in a little container filled with clay granules. Only cleaning the dust / spongefilter. It is now running smoothly 8 months (without refrigeration). So cleaning the filter after two months seems too early if you ask me.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back