Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tiger Salamander infection treatments

Nikamamas518

Reaction score
Hello,
Found my 8 year old Salamander with an infected mass in front of his hind leg. This happened in just 2 weeks, he was fine before he burrowed to hibernate. Dug him up yesterday to check on him and found this mass growing from his side. Substrate was just replaced a month ago. Feeding was normal. Not sure how this happened but need help with safe treatment options. Mostly antibiotics and ways to get him nutrients since he refuses to eat. Please help?

Attachments

• Resized_20161114_120853.jpg
    Resized_20161114_120853.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 403

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That wound looks far more involved than what should be treated at home. I strongly recommend you find a vet who is willing to treat a salamander. In the meantime, keep the salamander on moist paper towels in a plastic box and change the paper towels out daily to help keep things clean (use aged water to moisten the towels), and keep the animal cool to again slow down infection as well as it's metabolism since it's not eating. It appears to have a good weight right now so I would not be overly concerned about it not eating - it can go potentially weeks without eating with no real negative repercussions.

After the vet visit I would completely change out the substrate as something in there must have caused such a severe injury (it does not appear to be a mass/ growth to me). Perhaps a stick or stone is hidden in there. I use a mix of coco fiber and organic potting soil for my salamander's substrate and have to sift through the organic potting soil before using it because often sticks and the like are mixed in.

Best of luck!

HJ

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
I agree with everything that Jewett has said, find a vet, and make sure that everything it is living in right now is perfect. Also, this may just be me, but it doesn't look like a mass, it looks more like a cut, and unfertilized eggs are coming out of the wound, so I think it may have cut itself and now has a major injury on its side. There's nothing that you can do if this is true though, only a vet would be able to sew it shut, if by some chance I am right. I'll let some more knowledgeable members look at the injury and see what it is though

Nikamamas518

Reaction score
Thank u so much for your response we have cleaned it up and but him in a clean environment. The nearest amphibian vet is 3 hours away but we will probably end up taking him. Just wanted to see what others thought. We had him in coconut fiber husk and have used it for 8 years but it does look like he got cut. Thanks again

Nikamamas518

Reaction score
This is what it looks like now we have managed to clean it up quite a bit and are planning a visit to the exotic animal hospital in Phoenix we will post more when we know. Thanks again for your help

Attachments

• 20161117_231143.jpg
    20161117_231143.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 338

MarieKarma1311

Reaction score
The infected area looks much better now that its been cleaned up. I hope all goes well at the vet and that your tiger salamander gets better. good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!