Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is this fungus?

alianko04

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I just found some white fuzzy matter on my axie's gill. I tried to knock it off blowing some water towards him using a Baster (gently) but it didn't move and he actually seemed quite bothered about it. Other than this he is fine, eats and moves around the tank fine enough. We also find these fuzzy white "balls" in the tank, either the bottom or some of the ornaments.

Water parameters are usually fine, ammonia just tested and it's a .25, everything else good as well, temperature 18 degrees.

I attached a picture hoping someone with more experience could help us make sure this is indeed fungus and not something else. We did notice that same gill had a bit missing some days ago... could it be just regrowing ?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_4171.jpg
    IMG_4171.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 154

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
It is indeed a mild case of fungus. If the gill was damaged then it would be susceptible to fungus if the water conditions are not right.

Your temperature seems fine, but what kind of thermometer do you use to monitor the temperature?

What testing kit are you using to check your water parameters? Can you post the results for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate? Make sure you are follow the test kits instructions carefully to get true results.

If all is well then the fungus should just drop off on its own.

http://www.axolotl.org/requirements.htm

Last edited:

alianko04

Reaction score
Hi! Thanks for your reply,

I use an actual thermometer that goes inside the tank (I believe is mercury based?) and for water testing I have the API kit.

Ammonia is still readable but low ( we never seemed to be able to get it to a true 0 ). Nitrites 0, nitrates hard to say but I'd go between 20/30. Temperature dropped another degree. I have attached a picture and I'd say it looks a bit better?

Attachments

• IMG_4177.jpg
    IMG_4177.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 117

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
It is good that you are using a submersible thermometer and the API test kit, both are always recommended.

The small trace of Ammonia could be from your tap water, try testing a tube of your tap water to see if it holds Ammonia.

The fungus looks like it has dropped off entirely, if your water conditions are good then you shouldn't have to worry about the fungus returning.

alianko04

Reaction score
That's good news! :) i worry about him way too much sometimes!

I'll be keeping an eye on him and the water, I didn't know fungus were so dependant on water condition, thank you for telling me that and for your help!

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
No problem!' Damage to the skin ( a break in the slim layer ) leaves Axolotls susceptible to fungus if water conditions aren't correct. But yes he should be fine now.

artistea

Reaction score
to cure fungus serves specific veterinary medicinal product and place starter bacteria in the filter

Inviato dal mio ASUS_Z00AD utilizzando Tapatalk

KarlM

Reaction score
Sorry to hijack, but I'm interested to know if you have had a further occurrence of this fungus? I currently have the same situation, 0 nitrites and nitrates and a slight trace of ammonia (I will double check our tap water for any traces). Our wild type has recently had a couple of these small balls of fungus recently, plus a slightly larger one that grew on this tail, and I'm wondering if you've found a way of preventing them? I assume they are from injuries he picks up as he's rather clumsy!!

alianko04

Reaction score
Hey there, sorry for the late reply.

He is actually still fighting it I think. He hasn't eaten the last time it was due ( yesterday ) and we keep finding bits of little white matter in the tank. The piece on his gill has cleared completely though.

All we did was a big water change, clean up everyday all the bits we could pick up from the bottom and ensure ammonia was low. Today we had another spike of ammonia (around 1) but other values seem okay so we did a 70percent water change again.

I'm not sure if this would help you too, as I said in the main post I'm not that knowledgeable myself on the topic... I read on the forum that with bad fungus cases salt baths might help.

KarlM

Reaction score
Unfortunately we couldn't seem to get it to stay away even when we put him in some newly dechlorinated water each day in a hospital tank. He is having salt baths at the moment, but we are hoping we can stop them soon. Recently we haven't been able to stick around for long to watch him eating so we don't know how much he is having but his stomach is generally larger for around 12 hours since his feed and it hasn't gone thinner so we hope he is still eating. What are you feeding him..reason I ask..we feed ours live bloodworm and yesterday we found a number of bloodworm in the sealed bag had fluffy fungus on them. There were also bits of it floating in the bag. We have bought some more from a different location so we will monitor this. Can anyone suggest how this can be prevented from reoccurring? Our water parameters are fine but We seem to get rid of one patch and it grows again! The tip of his tail seems to grow a ball of it. We also had small pieces on his gill and one of his feet.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

alianko04

Reaction score
we hand feed him shrimps so I think it's a different reason.

However unfortunately we're back on the same issue: another ball has appeared on his gill and several on the feet. I don't know what else to do and I'm wondering if the change in weather might have something to do with it? I noticed you're from the uk too so Maybe something related to radiators being on/ condensation/ mold on windows etc ?

I am going to make another big water change today and hope for the best, otherwise I'll start with salt baths too!

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Don't remove too much water, it could affect your cycle. 20-40% I would say.

If the Axolotl is being affected by fungus again you need to double check your water quality. Place your Axolotl in a separate container with daily water changes. Fridging would be ideal.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beginner-newt-salamander-axolotl-help-topics/f48-axolotls-ambystoma-mexicanum/f58-sick-axolotl/85263-axolotl-fridging-guide.html

I have never had issues with the weather changing or condensation/mold on windows.

alianko04

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply!

The reason why I am making water changes is Because we are having ammonia spikes ... last time it was 1. We have a black bare bottom so it's easy to spot any waste to remove. We keep finding white matter here and there, some is fuzzy some is not. Anyway we remove it asap.

Any idea on what this all situation could be cause by? :(

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Ammonia spikes means your water quality is not good and poor water quality will cause fungus. But 1.0ppm is not severe.

Are you following the instructions for the APi test kit exactly? Are you using the liquid test kit?

Can you post images of your tank and Axolotl?

alianko04

Reaction score
Hi there. Yes the kit is the liquid one and I do my best to follow the instructions. I also tested tap water and that's clear of ammonia.

I enclosed some pictures of the tank, white matter on bottom and axolotl, he is in an awkward position under the filter so I couldn't get to him better ( he also seems to spend a lot of time under there, is that normal? )

Attachments

• IMG_4194.jpg
    IMG_4194.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_4195.jpg
    IMG_4195.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_4197.jpg
    IMG_4197.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_4198.jpg
    IMG_4198.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 92

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
The instructions must be followed to give correct results so make sure to follow the little booklet that comes with the kit.

Do some more tests to try and figure out if the results are coming back true. Perform two tests in a row today and log the results, then perform two more tests tomorrow and log the results.

Do you leave any shrimp in the tank or when hand feeding does your Axolotl it in there and then?

Your Axolotl is likely hiding under the filter using it as a hide, although I have seen many Axolotls hanging out by the filter, they may like the vibration but I'm not sure. You only have one hollow log in your tank and Axolotls prefer multiple hides. I would place the log against the back wall and look to get some additional hides. Also you could fill your tank with more dechlorinated water, larger volumes of water buffer ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate as well as keeping a colder temperature for long.

alianko04

Reaction score
Thanks again for your help,

I will do the water tests and get back with the results however I'm quite sure they come back true; when we had the first ammonia spike I tested multiple times, before and after the water change and they looked reasonable for what I was doing.

We hand feed him using tweezers, small bits of shrimp, he eats directly from the tweezers and in one big munch. Usually nothing gets left around ( he's a good eater ). That's why I can't figure out what those white bits are whether is skin, poop, or something else.

I'll look for more hides straight away, thanks for the tip!

Do you have an idea of why his tail would look like that?

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
It is fungus developing along the edges. Often fungus appears with poor water quality especially if there has also been a break in the slime layer i.e a cut or wound. If water quality is acceptable then perhaps this is a bacterial infection which looks like fungus but again this usually sets in due to poor water quality. Though I have read that diet and housing can attribute.

I would also suggest changing food, worms are the best. As you are from the UK you could order some dendrobaena worms from bucketofworms.co.uk. Worms hold the best nutritional content.

alianko04

Reaction score
Hello again,

So I've done several readings in the last 24 hrs and they came out consistent:

PH 6.0 ammonia 0.25 nitrites 0 nitrates 20.

I also tested tap water again and that gave null Results except for a better ph of 6.8.

We moved him in a smaller temporary tank so it's easier to make water changes. The results I've given are for the main tank.
The temporary one has no filter and I'm making 100% water changes per day, monitoring temperature and ammonia.

He doesn't look very good, he's very pink and gills are looking smaller too. I also found him floating twice since yesterday.

Another thing I noticed is that ammonia level in the temporary tank went up to 0.25 in a couple of hours he was in there. He is also not eating ( hasn't for a week).

Enclosed is a picture taken now...

Any suggestion on what could I do? Is it the case of starting salt baths or fridging ?

Thanks for any replies!

Attachments

• IMG_4202.jpg
    IMG_4202.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_4203.jpg
    IMG_4203.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 93

alianko04

Reaction score
He's worse I think.. he now has two red patches on the head and a big chunk of the gill missing... can anyone help? Should we fridge him or do salt baths ? :(

Attachments

• IMG_4212.jpg
    IMG_4212.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 96
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1