Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axolotls and live food, and eating issues.

Mewtwo

Reaction score
So.....wow. It's been a LONG time since I've loitered this site lol. My two axies are thriving, and growing fast! :blob:

Unfortunately,so is my guppy population. I have (I counted) 43 fry, ranging from newborn to a week or two old, that I have NO idea what I'll do with. The tank does have high ammonia, due to the rapid population growth, but we will be getting a new,bigger tank to accommodate within the next few weeks. So, my question is...
Can I feed these fry to my axies?
The tank DOES Have a history of calamanus worms, and ich a looong time ago, but both where treated and haven't been seen in this particular generation of guppy, so im confident there won't be any infections or parasites getting fed along to them with the fish. Will the fry having grown in a high-ammonia environment make them,..idk, toxic or something, to an Axie? Is it safe to feed them live foods like this even without the ammonia issue? IDK!

On a similar note, my now nearly year old axies (honestly, it may have been longer, but I'm horrible at timekeeping) still refuse to eat anything but pellets and bloodworms. I had a heck of a time getting them to eat pellets, but it had been nessicary when I went on a trip to NY so I could have an automatic feeder. I've tried sliced up nightcrawlers, and they wouldn't take it, even after a six day long fast. I've tried normal earthworms, same result, and red wigglers were a no-go. now I'm worrying they may not be getting the nurtients they need. What can I do here?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 7,299

MarieKarma1311

Reaction score
Hello and welcome back to the forums!

Guppies are perfectly fine to feed to your axolotls in moderation. I breed my own feeder Guppies and will give them as treats to my axolotls when I have population blooms.

I don't have much advice for axolotls that won't eat, hopefully you can find some better help on that aspect. I wish you the best of luck and that your babies start eating soon. :happy:

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, Guppies are fine in moderation, even if the water in the rearing tank is less than perfect.
I'm surprised your Axies won't eat nightcrawlers, but as long as the pellets you're feeding are a high quality brand I wouldn't worry. Amphibian or carnivorous fish pellets are designed to be a complete diet that can be fed day in, day out as a staple. Treats like Bloodworm or Guppies from time to time won't do any harm, but the pellets should contain everything your Axolotls need to stay happy and healthy.

Nini&AriasAxolotl

Reaction score
So.....wow. It's been a LONG time since I've loitered this site lol. My two axies are thriving, and growing fast! :blob:

Unfortunately,so is my guppy population. I have (I counted) 43 fry, ranging from newborn to a week or two old, that I have NO idea what I'll do with. The tank does have high ammonia, due to the rapid population growth, but we will be getting a new,bigger tank to accommodate within the next few weeks. So, my question is...
Can I feed these fry to my axies?
The tank DOES Have a history of calamanus worms, and ich a looong time ago, but both where treated and haven't been seen in this particular generation of guppy, so im confident there won't be any infections or parasites getting fed along to them with the fish. Will the fry having grown in a high-ammonia environment make them,..idk, toxic or something, to an Axie? Is it safe to feed them live foods like this even without the ammonia issue? IDK!

On a similar note, my now nearly year old axies (honestly, it may have been longer, but I'm horrible at timekeeping) still refuse to eat anything but pellets and bloodworms. I had a heck of a time getting them to eat pellets, but it had been nessicary when I went on a trip to NY so I could have an automatic feeder. I've tried sliced up nightcrawlers, and they wouldn't take it, even after a six day long fast. I've tried normal earthworms, same result, and red wigglers were a no-go. now I'm worrying they may not be getting the nurtients they need. What can I do here?
My baby is 5 months old and if an axolotl can be spoiled she's it! She will only eat bloodworms, baby guppies and ghost shrimp. I've tried all the pellets I've come across and so far she turns her nose up and flips off in a huff. She'll eat brine shrimp if mixed in with bloodworms. I've tried cutting up the night crawlers and sometimes She'll take a bite but that's about it. Guppies are her favorite and are very nutritious so if yours will eat them you should be fine with a supply.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1